Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Verandah and deck build on new house

Goose
Cultivating a Following

Verandah and deck build on new house

PXL_20210710_051018447.jpg

First owner builder project (with some help from professionals).

Verandah and Deck for a new house.

New outdoor kitchen including Barbeque to be installed (future update coming).

20201108_114208.jpg

Stage 1: Erect new verandah using primed timber and painted before erection. 

20201121_161032.jpg

Stage 2: Install laserlite (grey), gutters and flashing. 

PXL_20210425_032255744.jpg

Stage 3: Dig footings and install concrete stumps for deck substructure. 

PXL_20210605_224720012.jpg

Stage 4: Build decking substructure, treated pine 90x45mm

PXL_20210615_221915031.jpg

Stage 5: Lay decking boards, EcoDeck Backbeach.

PXL_20210710_051018447.jpg

PXL_20210710_051103117.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Verandah and Deck

Hello @Goose

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. Thank you so much for joining us and sharing your beautiful verandah and deck project.

Thank you for posting the construction photos. The back beach colour of the Ekodeck is truly remarkable and goes very well with the brick colour of your house. How long did it take to build? What parts of the construction did you do yourself? I'm sure our members would like to know the steps you took to build this project.

We look forward to seeing more.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
diy_hausdesigns
Amassing an Audience

Re: Verandah and deck build on new house

Impressive build ! Really extends the house out. Great job !

----
Yours Kindly. For more, please follow @diy_hausdesigns
shauny
Building a Reputation

Really nice build, that looks great.

Are the concrete stumps available through bunnings or do you need to get them somewhere else? I like the idea of those.

StevieB
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Thanks for joining this discussion @shauny. Let me tag @Goose so they don't miss your kind comment and question. 

@EricL will also be happy to help with your question when he's back on the site on Friday.

We'd love to learn more about your project and help along the way, so feel free to hit Start a discussion when you're ready to share.

Stevie

Goose
Cultivating a Following

Hey @shauny,

I wasn't sold on the concrete stumps idea but the plans approved by council called for them. They are 1200mm stumps as I was required to go down 1000mm minimum. They were MASSIVE holes!!!

You can get the stumps via Bunnings under a special order, our local store (Warrnambool) don't have them in stock. In the end they were easy to work with and will stand the test of time. 

PXL_20210604_014304573.jpg

Goose
Cultivating a Following

Re: Verandah and Deck

Hi @EricL 

That's for the post, in terms of timeframe this has been a long work in progress, getting the plans and permits was a battle I never envisioned as taking as long and costly than originally budgeted. It was roughly 12 months and somewhere from $2k to $3k. Red Tape 🙄.

The build has been done in stages and the roof structure was done over about 3 weekends with a mate who was a registered builder, he was the expert and I was the lacky. Same with the roof, a mates mate and did it over 2 weekends only because he needed to measure up and order the flashings. 

As for the deck and substructure, couldn't get any builders to help as everyone is super busy. I backed myself and my abilities and did it all myself, with some help from the father in law to lay some boards. The ease of Ekodeck was so good, but do recommend that you plan the board layout before starting the Joists, this saved me a lot of rework if I hadn't planned it all out. Installing breaker boards was a new concept to me, I was just going to lay them with butt joints but after reading up on the Ekodeck boards I'm so glad I used a breaker board system. 

PXL_20210710_051114909.jpg

PXL_20210710_051127870.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Goose

Thank you so much for the update on how you installed your Verandah and Deck.

I'm sure @shauny will appreciate the information you've given about the concrete stumps. I totally agree with the breaker board system as it reduces waste and is an excellent alternative to butt-join systems. I'm sure that it was a very satisfying build despite the time frame involved. 

We look forward to seeing more.

Eric

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @shauny

If you are planning to use the concrete stumps for a project, please let us know if you need assistance ordering them. I'll be more than happy to give you a hand. If you need more information or advice, please let us know.

We look forward to seeing the start of your project.

Eric

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects