Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

What are your favourite things to cook on the rotisserie?

MoonshineBen
Making a Splash

What are your favourite things to cook on the rotisserie?

Hey all! It's been a while! 

I want to hear what everyone's favourite things to cook on the rotisserie are? We've been using the small Jumbuck rotisserie to cook on forever, mostly chicken and our favourite beef rump cap. Such amazing flavours.

What about you? I know there's a lot of owners out there. Favourite foods or techniques?

We're planning on doing a whole suckling pig on the bigger Jumbuck spit - would anyone be interested in seeing how we do it?

Happiness is a full smoker - moonshinebbq.com.au
MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Rotisserie Ideas

It's great to hear from you @MoonshineBen! We've been missing your delicious content.

I'm going to go with a leg of lamb. Specifically, one where slices have been carved off as they roast and become crispy. Yum!

I'd certainly be keen on seeing what you can do on one of the bigger Jumbuck spits.

Got any pictures of what you've been smoking/BBQing lately?

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Walter

@MoonshineBen ,  I for one would love to see how you do with a big rotisserie, especially Suckling pork.

I use my rotisserie in my 4 burner BBQ, I love a boneless leg of pork on it, but chicken, lamb awesome. Haven't tried a beef cut though

I have a nice attachment for the rotisserie, a rotisserie skewer kit that allows me to put 6 big skewers on it, and I've tried chicken and beef:

This was a chicken thighs, capsicum,onion,tomato gives you and idea of the setup:

IMG_20190217_183548.jpg

and this was a chicken, marinated in yoghurt, mint, coriander and I forget what else, mushrooms, tomato,onion. Single normal rotissierie.

EFFECTS.jpg

I'll be doing some more, and maybe,maybe getting a dedicated rotisserie system.

So make sure you share your recipes and techniques.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Those look fabulous @Walter.

Let me mention a few of our talented members, @sandy_d, @DoSimpleBetter, @DesRigby, @kel, @Jimi, @GeoffB and @Noyade, that have all submitted some fantastic BBQ related projects and who might like to join in the conversation. Any avid barbecuers out there might like to check out these barbecue stands and bench ideas.

I'm really keen to see what other favourite foods are out there and learn some special techniques. I'm also perusing our BBQ range to see what's on offer.

Mitchell

Rotisserie

I don't own one Mitch. Please convince me I need one - and then I'll show this thread to my wife. :smile:

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

@Noyade,

Very few cooking techniques surpass the succulent results you'll achieve with a rotisserie. On a flat grill, the juices in the food will typically escape the meat and flow away. However, with a rotisserie as it's constantly turning your food, the juices self-baste your cut of meat, adding flavour to it whilst allowing the fat and grease to drain away. This means it's a much healthier way to cook. 😉

Once the temperature is set, you're also less likely to burn the meat, as it is never in the same place for too long. This allows you to leave the BBQ and assist your wife in the kitchen with other prep. 😉

Due to the rotation, it's effortless to get a consistent heat through the meat, provided you've centred it on the skewer correctly. This means you can make sure the meat is cooked exactly how your wife likes it. 😉

Hope that helps!

Mitchell

sandy_d
Amassing an Audience

I’d love one! I’ve only every hired a rotisserie. I have been thinking about recycling an old hot water system to making my own it but my welding skills need some work 😂 @MoonshineBen please share your ideas!! I’m always looking for new inspiration. 

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

@Jackson might also like to contribute to this discussion.

Looking forward to seeing your suckling pig @MoonshineBen!

Jason

@Walter these look amazing! That skewer set up is sensational!

Leg of lamb, carved as it goes sounds amazing!

Been cooking plenty of late, particularly through the lockdown.

Probably my favourite cook was a few weeks ago when I did a Philly cheesesteak where I smoked a whole beef shin then used it to make the sandwich

EFE428E5-0F70-411A-96D7-2396485F1824.JPG

Also tried spinning lamb rump cap instead of beef rump cap. Results were just as good!

78696E4B-C100-4636-B914-B931368214D5.JPG

And also did backstrap and cutlets and grilled stonefruit salad, all on the grill!

264AB49D-D534-4127-BE41-435357195DB5.JPG

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects