Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

What bricks to use for a fire pit?

suley001
Finding My Feet

What bricks to use for a fire pit?

hi guys 

I'm looking to build a fire pit and finding it hard to know what bricks to use does anyone know what I can use 

cheers 

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: What bricks to use for a fire pit?

Hi @suley001

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. 

This is a question that has popped up a few times before. D.I.Y. expert Adam Woodhams (@Adam_W) who wrote our wonderful step-by-step How to build a fire pit guide, most recently answered the question last month in this popular discussion.  

"Technically any bricks or blocks used where there is direct contact with flames should be 'refractory' or heat resistant products. I digress but... I cringe when I see various DIY 'gurus' make fire-pits with regular blocks and then hold them together with construction glue...

Single best way is to contact the supplier or manufacturer as some blocks may be suitable for such use but not technically be 'refractory' products. I would imagine that any product with a BAL-FZ rating would actually be suitable.

Other option is just to use a drop-in fire pit that's designed for the purpose."

Let us know what bricks you were considering using and the design of your fire pit, and I'm sure Adam and our resident Bunnings D.I.Y. expert Mitch (@MitchellMc) will be happy to advise whether they are suitable for purpose. 

Please don't hesitate to post anytime you need a hand with a project around the house or garden. We're here to help.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: What bricks to use for a fire pit?

Hi @suley001

If you're finding it hard to locate fire bricks, then you can use our Ezi Wall Lite Retaining Wall Blocks if you include a steel buffer between them and the fire. We also can order the Scandia Replacement Firebrick Set, which could be used in your project depending on the design you are looking to create.

I do really like the idea of using a drop-in fire pit, as this would allow you to use any bricks or blocks surrounding it.

Please let us know if you have any questions, and I look forward to seeing a sketch of your fire pit design.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects