Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

What laser for post and rail fencing?

Grant777
Getting Established

What laser for post and rail fencing?

What laser would suit for constructing a post & rail fence please. 

regards

Grant

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Post and Rail fencing

Hello @Grant777

Thanks for sharing that question about laser levels. A while back I purchased an Ozito 8m Cross Line Laser Level Plus Tripod. It's a pretty good laser for inside the house, unfortunately, the red colour washes out when it's brought outside. I should have done a little more research and realized too late that green lasers are far better for outside use. But be aware that they have distance ratings as well.

Depending on your budget some lasers are very expensive, but they do have all the bells and whistles such as long-distance visibility and other useful functions. However, if you are only going to use it occasionally then I recommend a mid-range green laser with at least a 10-meter range. I also propose looking at the Lasertec Green Laser Targets And Glasses Combo Pack, it's compatible with all green lasers and assists in the visual detection of green lasers more easily under less-than-ideal conditions. A tripod is a handy accessory as you can set up the laser independently without having to plant a post in the ground.

Let me call on our experienced members @homeinmelbourne, @Adam_W, @TedBear, @JoeAzza and @Remarka6le for their recommendations.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Grant777
Getting Established

Thanks Eric 

Can you recommend the green laser for my purpose then? Is there a budget kit or perhaps adding to the purchase?

regards

Grant

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Grant777,

The DeWALT Green Cross Line Laser Level would be suitable for your project. It's one of the more budget-friendly green lasers but will do everything you need.

Please let us know if you have further questions.

Mitchell

Thanks Mitchell,

is there another else I’d need for that laser I mean?

regards

Grant

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

The Lasertec Green Laser Targets And Glasses Combo Pack @EricL mentioned @Grant777. Apart from that, there isn't anything else required for the laser. 

Please be aware that even with a green laser, they can be particularly hard to see in daylight. I suggest working in the morning or evening on anything requiring levelling, as the beam will be just about unnoticeable in the midday sun. The other option is that you go with the good ole' fashion method of a string line and a string level for your horizontal lines and a spirit level for your posts.

You might like to have a read through this helpful guide: How to choose and use a level.

Mitchell

Thanks Mitchell, 

Just so I understand only because I used another on a tripod with a large adjustable slide measurement stick that stood vertically to check massive garage floor level. I moved around whilst laser stayed put and marked with paint high or low.

To run a fence 500m, could I use this laser to get straight line & hight right? If not I guess your right behaves the old way will do

i await your suggestion

regards

Grant

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

You'd typically use a slide measurement stick when you're...

You'd typically use a slide measurement stick when you're determining fluctuations on a plane, @Grant777. For this project, it sounds like you'd need to project a horizontal and vertical line so you can get your post perpendicular to the ground and your rails parallel to it. If you did want the tripod you could go with a Bosch Professional 10m Green Beam Cross Line Laser and Bosch Professional Laser Level Tripod.

For a fence, you'd typically install your first and last post in concrete footers. Then you'd use a spirit level to get the posts straight and brace them into position. Instead of trying to get the height right, you'd install them so they are slightly above the height needed and then trim them to size with a circular saw after the footer has set. Once you have the two posts installed, you can run a string line at the top of them and at the required height for the rails. You can then build the rest of the fence using the string lines as a guide. Have a look at this helpful guide where they use this technique: How to build a fence.

I'm going to presume that's a 50m fence, but either way, I feel that using a string line will be far less fuss than a laser level. A fence isn't a project that needs high precision. I think you'd struggle to find fence installers using a laser level.

Mitchell

Hi Mitchell

yes I agree, I’ll use string line as the fence is 300m plus. 
Really appreciated your input Mitchell

regards

Grant

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects