Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

What to do about this gate's wood rot?

Bluetooth
Having an Impact

What to do about this gate's wood rot?

20211212_100601.jpg

There is some wood rot at the bottom of this gate. Should I replace a piece of it or go with a whole new gate? Build from scratch or can U get a gate made to measure for a reasonable price?

Maybe there are some upgrades I could think about if I'm putting in a new on like mounting a wifi camera inside🙂

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: What to do about this gate's wood rot?

Hi @Bluetooth 

Let me tag some helpful members in @Tara86@Brad@tom_builds and @HandyAndy to see how they would approach this repair or replacement project.

I'm sure our resident Bunnings D.I.Y. expert in @EricL will also be happy to share his thoughts as soon as possible. Many thanks for your patience in the meantime.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
HandyAndy
Building a Reputation

thanks @Jason,

Hi @Bluetooth, to me it looks like there could be rot elsewhere in the gate also, although it's hard to tell from the picture alone. So i think if you were to replace the bottom timber, you might need to replace additional later, however, replacing all the rotted pieces would be nearly a full rebuild.

I don't think getting someone to make a new gate for you would be too expensive, however it all depends on what you want.

you could definitely incorporate a wifi camera/doorbell in to the gate (alot of them can be wireless).

could you post some additional images of the fencing either side? this will help with suggesting some design options if it comes to that.
also, does the gate open on to a footpath or a laneway? do you need it to keep pets/kids in the yard?

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Bluetooth

It's great that you've received fantastic advice from @HandyAndy. I suggest examining the gate and assessing how many pieces need to be replaced. Do you have the necessary tools to disassemble the gate and replace the timber parts? If you do, then it would be a worthwhile D.I.Y. project. You would need to remove the gate from its hinges and take it apart so that you can assess whether it needs to be replaced or not. However, if you feel this is outside your current scope of experience, I suggest engaging the services of a professional handyman to re-build your gate.  

I recommend using exterior-rated timber like H3 or LOSP to replace the damaged ones on your gate. 

If you have any other questions, please let us know. 

Eric

Hi @HandyAndy , thanks for the response. I'm not looking for a handyman to come and custom build, I was more thinking that it might be the sort of thing that one could measure up and then order it from a factory?

The fence keeps my small dog inside, and it opens onto a footpath on a council strip. I'll try to post more shots in the coming days.

Thank you for the feedback.

I do not think it is outside my scope.

@HandyAndy @Jason @EricL The gate has continued to rot, and its beyond repair now, in my opinion. I found and bought this product from my local bunnings yesterday, which set will work well.  I brought it home so that I could read the instructions, and see what else i needed. I got the coach-screws (8m x 75mm) to secure to the posts, and bought some merbau screening pickets which I'll cut to size. The instructions say to use metal self tapping screws to attach the pickets - would you have an idea about which ones would work best? The product is pre primed and I plan to use outdoor blue paint to match the rest of the fence. Hopefully I'll get it done in the next couple of weeks. Maybe a top railing would also look, good, but I'm not sure how to approach that.

HandyAndy
Building a Reputation

great job @Bluetooth i have the same gate myself!

it will look great once you're done, without seeing the rest of your frontage i can't advise whether a top railing would look good, but definitely will be easy enough to achieve in my opinion. would you put a bottom rail also?

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Bluetooth

I suggest using Zenith 10G x 50mm Galvanised Countersunk Head Metal Screw - 50 Pack. I recommend positioning the Merbau panels on the gate frame first before screwing them in. This will allow you to optimize the gap between panels and you get a well-balanced layout. It's always a good idea to countersink and drill pilot holes in the timber for ease of installation. I suggest using P&N 4 Piece Quickbit Pilot Drill / Countersink Bit Set. To keep your installation precise, I propose using Craftright 300mm 2 Piece Quick Action Clamp.

I'm afraid the steel frame does not have any provision for a top rail. One way to attach a rail at the top would be to screw another timber piece at the back of the top panels and screw on to that to hold the top rail. 

Let me call on our experienced members @tom_builds, @ProjectPete, and @TedBear for their recommendations.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

20220321_180559.jpg

 This picture gives an idea of what the rest of the fence design looks like. Probably some sort of top rail would look good. Are they sold at Bunnings?

20220321_180540.jpg

 Here some more of the decay is visible.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects