Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

What to do with a spare car tyre...

Mick0s
Having an Impact

What to do with a spare car tyre...

Thanks to a flat tire replacement one week and a "4 for the price of 3" tyre deal the next, we've ended up with a perfectly serviceable, but 5 year old (so closing in on its use by date), tyre sitting in the backyard.

So I'm trying to think of things to use it for.

With 2 young kids (2 and 6mths) the first thought was "tyre swing" but we lack any decent branches on which to suspend it.

The current other option is to make a paltry lone raised garden bed out of it... or succumb to my desire to turn it into a tyre swan!

So I'm keen to hear / see what suggestions other people might have, and I'm sure the missus will apreciate a swan-less front garden.

Barker
Cultivating a Following

Re: What to do with a spare car tyre...

It's got to be a tyre swing. No tree? Just make a frame!

TyreSwing.jpg

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Welcome to Workshop @Mick0s. Great to see you make your first post. I'm sure the Workshop community will have plenty of suggestions for you. Did you ever roll around inside a tyre as a kid? I think I've got the scars to prove it...

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Andy_Mann
Former Community Member

I wear my spare tyre with pride, but I'm a 65 year old with attitude. : P

Mick
Cultivating a Following

How about a seesaw?

see_saw_tyre_18cskfc-18cskga.jpg

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Have you decided what to do with the tyre @Mick0s?

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Mick0s
Having an Impact

Nothing has really comes to mind yet, unfortunately. I think the inspiration for something outdoorsey might flow a bit better once Canberra warms up a bit again, so plenty of time to think about it.
In the meantime I found a little friend to join his tyre-some ways (pun intended), the old tyre off of the wheelbarrow!
So a tyre signet might find its way into our garden come spring. :wink:
Mick0s
Having an Impact

Okay, so some vague progress on this one.  I've finally come up with something to do with this baby... but it's definately a "wait til its warmer and you've build that big deck that you can't afford to build just yet" type of project.

So, until such a time, I'll just leave this here...

Tyre Ottoman

Isobel
Amassing an Audience

That ottoman looks fantastic @Mick0s. Great project!

What is being painted on the rope in the picture below?

Mick0s
Having an Impact

@Isobel, I imagine its a can of clear coat polyurethane, or similar.  Mainly to seal the rope and wood against the elements and wear and tear.

I might substitute the hot glue gun for some construction adhesive (liquid nails, etc), as I can't see hot glue being a great long term solution.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects