Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

What to use to stick vertical pavers to besser blocks?

ravstk
Growing in Experience

What to use to stick vertical pavers to besser blocks?

acc0f747-46e2-4170-84e4-89deca664ce1.jpegHi Guys  

Small help. I am looking to use the vertical pavers 

https://www.bunnings.com.au/decor8-tiles-600-x-150mm-hotham-large-panel-stone-6-pack_p3460109

to stick to 

https://www.adbrimasonry.com.au/homeowners/bricks-and-blocks/versaloc/versaloc-interlocking-blocks

Now I do see there are liquid nails as one of the options. But can I use something better and lasting? My experience with liquid nail hasn't been that good.

Thanks

Ravi

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: What to use to stick vertical pavers to besser blocks?

Hi @ravstk,

Natural stone is particularly susceptible to tile glues which have a long cure time and are acidic. There are some tile glues which can be ordered into our stores like Ardex S28 and WA100 but they can be more complicated to use than standard cement-based glue.

I've had some discussions with our various glue suppliers and Sikaflex 11FC Plus Polyurethane Adhesive Sealant would be the best D.I.Y. product to use. It is flexible and considerably better suited to this application than liquid nails. I would advise purchasing the sausage 11FC and applying a liberal amount of the adhesive all over the back of the tile and not just in dots or lines.

Please let me know if you need further assistance or had any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
ravstk
Growing in Experience

As always thanks Mitchell for your help :).  I will go with sikaflex route but having to apply about 24 tiles how much do you think I will need?

The amount will depend on how much you apply. If you go for a liberal amount as suggested in a zigzag pattern across each tile, I'd buy 7 sausages. You will probably need about 5 but can always take the leftovers back.

----------
Handy and helpful
Instagram @projectpete.diy @at.home.rosehill @kayudesignco @aspirebamboo
MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @ravstk,

As @ProjectPete has mentioned you can always return the unused product. Seven sausages sound about right and should definitely be in the ballpark of what is required.

Mitchell

ravstk
Growing in Experience

Just an update on the post. This the final result. IMG_0118 (2).jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

That looks fantastic, @ravstk! How long did it take, and is there anything you would have done differently?

Many thanks for sharing your finished result. I trust it will inspire many of our members to attempt something similar.

Well done.

Mitchell

ravstk
Growing in Experience

Thanks, Mitchell :). I took my own sweet time on this one,  but I worked on and off on it. I'll say around 4-5 months in total. It was a process, where I got stuck few times but learned few things along the way. I mainly got stuck on the construction of the steps, as I was a bit unsure what products to use. Ended up with concrete pavers,  which in hindsight,  I think was a good choice, as they are heavy and sturdy. I probably could have planned better I think,  and should have spent more time leveling the base.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects