Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Adding glass to french doors

roofie
Just Starting Out

Adding glass to french doors

Hello..I would like some advice. I have two sets of french doors, but I would like to convert them into "real" french doors with the little panes of glass. Anyone that can help?

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Adding glass to french doors

Hi @roofie,

Welcome to Workshop. We're pleased you could join us and trust you will receive loads of helpful advice and inspiration for your home improvement projects from our ever-helpful community members. 

You might like to share a photo or two of both your doors and an example of the look you are after so other members can provide more detailed and useful advice. It would also be good to provide a little more detail about what you want to do and what you think you might have difficulty with. 

Thanks again for joining in the discussion.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
roofie
Just Starting Out

I have two sets of french doors that lead out onto the patio. They already have the panes of glass in them. but instead of having the one sheet of glass I want to put a frame in the door to make them look like little english cottages french doors. So instead of having one pane of glass, it looks like mabe 6 little square panes in each door. 

AHoy
Having an Impact

I wouldn't consider that an easy DIY job @roofie. I'd recommend you get a glazier in to quote the job.

fclarke
Getting Established

Hi Roofie  I know it is a while since you posted this item but I am wondering if you had any success as I want to do exactly the same   I am wondering if there is a stick on timber strip that would make the door appear as if it had separate panes of glass or if I will have to make these strips myself. ??

StevieB
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi @fclarke,

Thanks for contributing to this discussion.

Let me tag @roofie so they are alerted to your question. I'll also mention @JoeAzza, @Wouldy and @MitchellMc to see if they can offer any helpful suggestions to get you started.

In the meantime, could you please share a photo of your doors at the moment to give our community an idea of what you're starting with?

Keep us updated on your project. I'd love to hear how it goes and see pictures along the way.

Stevie

JoeAzza
Kind of a Big Deal

Hi .@fclarke, 

.@StevieB, @roofie,  @Wouldy and @MitchellMc

I found this website that shows how to add Muntins to a glass door, hope it helps. Looks easy just go to Buunings and buy the style of timber moulding required. Porta make all types of moulding, available at Bunnings

https://thechelseaproject.com/how-to-easily-diy-custom-muntins-for-windows/

Joe

@StevieB @fclarke 

Hi Stevie, thanks for tagging me in this post. fcclarke, before I give my suggestions I'd like to know what your rough budget is for this job and your experience? I only ask because that would make a difference in what I suggest to you. 

Also could you post some pics do I can have a closer look at the job? 

Cheers 

Wouldy

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @fclarke,

It looks like our members are keen to assist you with your project, which is fantastic.

You could cut and then attach Tasmanian Oak moulding or aluminium flat bar to the glass surface with Sika 310ml SuperGrip 30 Minute Adhesive. As glass panes come in a multitude of different sizes, I'm not sure how successful you'll be in finding pre-made lengths.

Personally, I've had experience with re-attaching muntins to a solid glass panel. I was in a rental property, and we managed to break a large glass panel on a sliding door that had a French door look. After ordering a new glass panel and fixing it into the frame, I removed the muntins off the cracked glass panel and re-glued them to the new one. These were aluminium, and I used translucent silicone. Irritatingly after hours of glueing them on, I placed a heater a few feet away to accelerate the dry time of the silicone. The new glass panel cracked, which I presume was due to the difference in heat between inside and outside as it was Winter.

As long as you used a fine-toothed saw and were reasonably accurate with your cuts, I believe you could achieve a fine finish on the project.

Please let us know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

fclarke
Getting Established

• Thanks for your reply  My budget is reasonable . I would rather create the project myself rather than just replace the doors. I am confident in any building experiment especially now I know what a 'muntin ' is .I'm a Bunnings tool section freak so have the tools to do most things .We have just moved to a small country property so the first priority was a $70000 concrete floor in the shed so I now have to get some results to keep the other half off my back. I will send photos later but at this stage just considering buying some molding and sticking straight onto the glass . DO i NEED TO PUT THESE ON BOTH SIDES OR JUST ON THE INSIDE/OUTSIDE ? also what type of adhesive ?? just clear silicon or use a two pack adhesive ??  I got the doors and frame from a recycle shop (got them for nothing because of all the other 'junk' I buy there. They are aluminum in like new condition and I am spraying the in a metallic silver to match the new kitchen design .WILL POST PICTURES SOON. also thanks to @JoeAssa for your video help

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects