Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Advice ordering paint online

bastet
Finding My Feet

Advice ordering paint online

Normally I'd ask the expert at the store but I'm wanting to "click and collect".

What paint brand would you recommend that isn't overly expensive?

• Interior walls, never been painted, spent the last 2 years slowly removing their 80's wallpaper!

How much will I need?

• It took 15L to do 4 bedrooms (but they'd previously been painted, not wallpaper)
  • I'm guessing 15L will be okay for kitchen and dining room?
  • Large lounge and hallway, think I'll need more than 15L, how much is the largest tin you can get tinted?

If I underestimate how much I need, will a tin tinted the same colour blend in later?

Can get paint ordered online tinted?

• I've found the perfect colours online, but don't know how to request the paint to be tinted.

Thanks Community!

ProjectPete
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: Advice ordering paint online

Welcome @bastet 

• I'm a Dulux fan/user. Bit more expensive but worth the money IMO.
  • The size depends on the paint you choose - they have their coverage rate in the back of the tin and sometimes on the product page on website. Off the top of my head, standard Dulux interior paint some 16sqm/1L.
  • You're probably going to need to prime/seal after you sand those walls back to help with adhesion.
  • You can tint any size tin.
  • 2 separately tinted tins will blend just fine - it's a computer calculated and "injected" process for tinting so in theory should provide the same results every time. I've personally never had an issue.

Hope this helps!

----------
Handy and helpful
Instagram @projectpete.diy @at.home.rosehill @kayudesignco @aspirebamboo
Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @bastet,

Great to see you receive such prompt and helpful advice from Pete. I trust it answers all your questions, but please don't hesitate to post any follow-up queries or concerns.

You might also be interested in the step-by-step advice found in community member @Peggers's guide How to paint like a professional.  

Welcome to the Workshop community. I trust you'll get plenty of helpful information, advice and inspiration for this project and many others to come from our amazing members. Please feel free to post anytime. We look forward to seeing your completed paint job. 

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Brad
Kind of a Big Deal

The how to on ordering tinted paint online.

https://www.bunnings.com.au/tinted-paint-online-orders 

+1 Dulux fan

Thanks for your comprehensive reply. It helps a lot.
I didn't know about pre-sanding the walls!

Will be doing some research now to ensure I get a nice finish.

Thanks again,

BoeingFan
Becoming a Leader

+1 for Dulux

Hi @bastet 

Ok I am going to be a bit unpopular  here and say all the brands are really quite good indoors even the budget ranges that may not have the hype.

I asked  the pro painter across the road this very question.  Outdoors is a little tougher and dulux weather shield has life time year GT. and there are more specialized  paints for metals and roof  painting.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects