Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Advice wanted for cleaning and repairing home

BellaQ22
Getting Established

Advice wanted for cleaning and repairing home

I have just brought a home in a small country town in WA. 

The inside of the house ,needs cleaning , washing walls and cornice corners repaired. I Never have done any of this work before ..and having a disability,  will bring challenges im sure. 

Its currently a 2 bedroom,  I want to make it a 3 bedroom with built in wardrobes if I can. I want to rip up all very old carpets throughout the house ..

There is a slate floor entry ..( not sure how to clean this and keep and level the slate ..so I don't trip). 

I will clean walls and do repairs , plaster ect.

Then paint ceiling first , then walls , I like the bedroom makeover and colours that was on Bunnings site. 

Then kitchen ...

Then laundry 

Toilet I have new seat ..and there is tiles ( advise on how to do this would be appreciated 👍). 

Loungeroom has square tiles stuck on with some adhesive ..

Not sure what to use to remove them as a dog has piddled on them ..and it stinks ..

The house doesn't have floor boards ..only some type of wood like marine ply ..?? 

So any advice would be great 

Its one step at a time for me 

Thanks 👍 

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Advice wanted for cleaning and repairing home

Hi @BellaQ22,

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. You've come to the right place for some advice and encouragement. We all have to start from somewhere and we are looking forward to seeing how you can transform your new home. 

I think the "one step at a time" approach is good. It might help members to provide more specific advice for them to know what you plan on tackling first. Also share a couple of photos so people can see what you are working with and some detail about your goals or what you have planned. If you are planning on changing the floorplan, share a sketch with the room dimensions. We would be happy to help as much as we can.

We are looking forward to reading more.

Thanks,

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @BellaQ22

It's great to hear that you've decided to tackle this home cleaning and repair project. I'm also in agreement with your proposed approach of "one step at a time". I suggest tackling the source of the bad smell first so that it does not contaminate the rest of the household. I recommend using traditional cleaning products to neutralize the smell of the floor. Since this is a major cleaning effort mixed with a bit of construction, I suggest making a list with pen and paper so that you can tick off your progress. 

I propose planning the third bedroom first before you start cleaning the house. Construction often produces a great deal of mess and any cleaning efforts would be rendered a waste as sawdust and debris will cover everything. I suggest doing your construction work first and then doing your major clean. In this manner, you only need to clean once. Would it be possible for you to post pictures of your house? This will help out our members assess the condition of the place. We can then make recommendations on cleaning.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

BellaQ22
Getting Established

Thanks Eric 

As im not a builder professionally..and its hard to get anyone at the moment I've decided to keep it as the longer room and section it off with bookcases or wardrobes..for the moment . Cheers 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @BellaQ22

If you need ideas for those bookcases or wardrobe dividers, please let us know. I'm sure our members will be more than happy to make suggestions on how to configure them to create a room divider.

Eric

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects