Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Air cleaning plants

Alicia
Building a Reputation

Air cleaning plants

Just looking for recommendations on air cleaning plants please.  

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Air cleaning plants

@Alicia,

Sweet Bonito Peace LillySweet Bonito Peace Lilly 

Here are some suggestions from horticulturalist Colin Barlow:

Bamboo palm (Chamaedorea seifrizii):  A multi trunked palm for brightly lit situations growing around 2 to 3 metres tall.  

Boston fern (Nephrolepis exaltata 'Bostoniensis'):  A graceful arching sword fern suitable for growing in pots and hanging baskets in medium to bright light.  Keep moist and increase the humidity for best results.

Peace lily (Spathiphyllum sp): Evergreen herbaceous plant with large green leaves and white spathes surrounding the flower spike.  Suitable for growing in low light situations indoors.

Mother-in-law's tongue (Sansevieria trifasciata'Laurentii'): Upright succulent plant with snake like foliage in grey/green stripes with yellow margins.

Florist’s Chrysanthemum (Chrysanthemum morifolium): Colourful perennial with lobed foliage and masses of intricate daisy like flowers available in all types of shapes and sizes during autumn.

Corn plant (Dracaena fragrans 'Massangeana'): Evergreen perennial producing green and yellow variegated leaves atop sturdy grey canes.  Growing in medium to low light conditions.

English Ivy (Hedera helix): Evergreen climbing and trailing plant with small green or variegated leaves suitable for planting in hanging baskets and/or edging in pots and containers.  Best grown in moist potting mix in bright or medium light.

Spider plant (Chlorophytum comosum): A weeping variegated herbaceous plant forming plantlets at the end of branched inflorescences.  Fleshy tuberous roots make this plant hardy and drought tolerant in brightly lit conditions.

Weeping Fig (Ficus benjamina): A large evergreen tree with glossy weeping foliage growing 3-4 metres high or more indoors in both sunny and partially shaded conditions. Keep moist in summer and drier during winter.

Chinese Evergreen (Aglaonema modestum😞  Evergreen tropical perennial with either silver, green, pink or yellow variegated leaves forming clumps of erect or drooping foliage.  Suitable for growing in low light and drier potting mix conditions.

Philodendron sp:  Evergreen tropical perennial with thick glossy green or burgundy leaves, many deeply lobed and drooping.  Suitable for growing in brightly lit conditions.

Barberton or Transvaal daisy, Gerbera (Gerbera jamesonii): Rosette forming herbaceous perennial suitable bright conditions indoors with large colourful daisy like flowers predominately in shades of red, pink, yellow and white.

Hope that helps.

Jason 

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Re: Air cleaning plants

@Alicia The extent of my knowledge on plants, specifically to aircleaning ones, is limited to Peace lily and Mother-in-law's tongue.

What I will say though, is since my wife started a home business for indoor plants (@thelivingdecorco on Instagram), as a family we've been generally healthier. It could be a coincidence and maybe our immunity has improved or our diet is doing it or blah blah blah. But for me, I believe the plants have had an impact especially given the volume of plants we now have inside :smile: So, from my experience, just.get.plants - don't limit yourself to those best known for aircleaning, they all make a big difference.
----------
Handy and helpful
Instagram @projectpete.diy @at.home.rosehill @kayudesignco @aspirebamboo
Isobel
Amassing an Audience

Laurel
Just Starting Out

I read a report by NASA some years ago and they found that Spathiphyllums were the most effective of all house plants for filtering the air. 

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thanks for joining in the discussion @Laurel. Great to have you join us. A very warm welcome to the Workshop community. We encourage you to post whenever you need a hand with a project or have something to share. And please let me know if you ever need help getting the most from the site. 

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects