Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Average carpentry work on entry doors - don't let the builder win

ProjectPete
Kind of a Big Deal

Average carpentry work on entry doors - don't let the builder win

After taking possession of my new home, I noticed our entry doors haven't been installed well.

First of all, I noticed I needed to pull/push on the door in order for the deadbolt to lock into place which told me the door wasn't properly aligned so I took a closer look and the misalignment is very clear.

20190708_130508.jpg 20190708_130534.jpg

When investigating, I found a crack at the lock point - looks like the recess has left the frame too thin/fragile at front of the frame. I glued/clamped this to avoid it getting worse while I got the issue resolved.

20190708_130544.jpg

Given these flaws I contacted my builder who inspected the doors and "found no justifiable reason to repair/replace them" citing the bow in the door and misalignment is "within tolerance". I understand toelrances are built into the construction industry for a reason, but when that tolerance means my doors don't function correctly and already have a vulnerability, I'm less understanding, especially when I paid decent money to upgrade the doors.

I had the manufacturer inspect the doors and he cited the same tolerance and said his report would reflect the response I already received from the builder. It wasn't until I challenged him on this that he seemed to be showing some understanding. The point at which I changed his mind was when I used my tried and tested line, "Would you be happy if this was on your new home?".

In the end, my builder has agreed to not only repair the doors, but replace them entirely.

The lesson in this, as I've stated in previous posts about building a home, is to never let the builder walk all over you because they will at every chance they get. Challenge them to ensure you get the quality outcome you expect and deserve.

----------
Handy and helpful
Instagram @projectpete.diy @at.home.rosehill @kayudesignco @aspirebamboo
Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Average carpentry work on entry doors - don't let the builder win

Thanks for sharing your experience @ProjectPete and congrats on the very positive outcome for you and your family! 

I've found timber doors problematic in the past, particularly with our climate in Melbourne being so variable! And of course the larger the opening, the larger the potential for movement to occur and affect the ability to open/close and lock/unlock the door. So ensuring that the initial installation is excellent and that the timber was handled and treated appropriately both before and after installation seems crucial. 

It will be good to read input from other community members about how to ensure timber doors behave over time. :smile:

Thanks again,

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Brad
Kind of a Big Deal

Front door doesn’t behave that nicely now. Passage door has always been a abstract piece of “art”. 92D2DC36-93C8-44B4-90E6-74994A63F461.jpeg

ED353DDC-1EE5-468F-85B9-C39E02700492.jpeg

gippslandhome
Becoming a Leader

G'day ProjectPete, I have to say from experience that you are 100% right in what you are saying and what you did.

Unfortunately tolerances are taken from methods used years ago and do not meet up with relevant building methods and materials.

Being in the construction industry all my working life I have seen to often shody work done by tradesmen who go straight to the easiest excuse in that it's within tolerance.

If anyone has issues with any work carried out the best thing to do is try and resolve the matter through clear communication and as ProjectPete said don't let the builder or tradesmen talk over you, don't put up with shody work.

Regards Rob

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects