Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Basic tools for an new/amateur woodworker

MutsRenos
Finding My Feet

Basic tools for an new/amateur woodworker

Hi everyone, 

So I'm a sort of new woodworker/carpenter (I'm in year 11 VCE currently studying Certificate II in Building & Construction at TAFE) and I was thinking of buying some basic tools that I could use at home so I can start practicing my woodworking skills when I'm not at TAFE. Does anyone one know what kind of tools I would need to start a small workshop at home.

I have also decided that as a first project, I wanted to try and build a basic workbench (was thinking of building the one from Bunnings D.I.Y advice) as I don't have one yet and I figured I would need one if I wanted to start woodworking at home. 

If anyone could give me any advice, that would be very helpful :smile:

Thanks, Muts

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Basic tools for an new/amateur woodworker

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @MutsRenos. Many thanks for your question, I'd be happy to assist.

It's fantastic to have you join us and that's a great question to ask. You might be interested in reading What was the first tool you ever boughtIs Makita Dewalt or Bosch betterWhat tools does a beginner needTools battery or corded and The great power tools debate- What is the best brand.

Personally, I would recommend investing in a premium trade brand like DeWalt, Makita, AEG or Bosche Blue. You can certainly acquire tools much cheaper, but these brands carry a trade warranty and are suitable for extended runs times and trade conditions. If you are intending to work in the trade I would buy the tools you need now to prevent having to double up later. I would also advise to decide on a brand and stick with it as batteries are not interchangeable between brands. There are some decent savings to be had with kits similar to the Bosche Blue professional series instead of buying the individual tools. You just need to make sure you'll be using all the items in the kits to make them a great purchase.

To start with I would be looking at a drill driver, circular saw and/or a compound mitre table saw, clamps, random orbital sander and a belt sander. There are thousands of projects you can complete with these tools and plenty to get you started building your workbench.

If you have further questions please let me know.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hey Mitchell, thanks for replying.

I appreciate the advice on which tools to buy first and I will definitely remember to stick to one brand when buying power tools. However, I was thinking more about basic hand tools that I could use just to work on some basic skills like a hand saw or a hammer as I haven't had much experience with large power tools such as a mitre saw and I also don't have that large of a budget. I will definitely be buying a cordless drill though as I think that is essential.

Thanks, Muts

Hi Mutts (@MutsRenos),

I'd start with a hand sawhammertape measureclampsutility knifecombination square, and a chisel set.  These tools will always be staples of a builders tools box despite innovations in technology. I'd encourage you once again to purchase slightly above the budget-priced products. You might like to ask around to see if there is anybody you know downsizing their workshop. Over my time I've picked up many tools well out of my budget from other more experienced woodworkers that just didn't have a need for their tools anymore.

We look forward to hearing about you putting your first tool kit together and if you would like any specific recommendations on those products, please let me know.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Timberme
Growing in Experience

Well said Mitchell,  Nothing like starting at the beginning, hey ?  Advice from an old fart MUTS = that is develop your HAND TOOLS COMPETENCE FIRSTLY !!! Make your fIrst WORKBENCH from hand tools with real WOOD WORKER JOINTS AND MAKE IT As STRONG AND STIFF (decent hard woods) as you can. (I suspect you can wait a day or two longer to get it done) Mitchell has given you golden advice young man do not overlook a gift horse ! Some very good stuff on USA videos BUT beware the flogging of power this and that.. Power tools are for productivity not "easy way out "  !!!   Like Mitch says - plenty of good stuff around on the 2nd hand market.(P.S My oldest power tool is a 1961 3/8 inch drive SKIL drill - try to buy a new [made in Aus.] SKIL now ! and I doubt you have $7grand for your good saw bench ! )  Good luck son - smart thinking = asking questions !!! 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects