Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Best fixings for installing a handrail onto a FC clad wall?

JeffRuss
Just Starting Out

Best fixings for installing a handrail onto a FC clad wall?

I need to fit a 4m stair hand rail on an internal wall clad with FC sheet.

No noggings installed are toggle fixings sufficient 

Cheers

Jeff

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: best fixings for installing a handrail onto a FC clad wall

Hi @JeffRuss,

Let me extend a very warm welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. We're pleased to have you join us and look forward to reading about all your projects and plans for around the house and garden. We're sure you will get plenty of helpful information, advice and inspiration from our amazing community members.

Let me tag some helpful members who might like to share their thoughts with you about how they would tackle this handrail project: @ProjectPete, @Brad, @TedBear, @Tara86, @JDE

Our resident Bunnings team member @MitchellMc will also be happy to assist when he is back on the site on Friday. 

Please let me know if you ever need assistance using the Workshop site, or ever have any feedback about how we can improve it for you. We're here to help.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
TedBear
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: Best fixings for installing a handrail onto a FC clad wall?

Since a handrail is a safety item, I wouldn't suggest taking chances with just toggle fixings to hold it. It would be safer to install a piece of timber down the section of wall where the handrail is going, bolting it to all timber uprights along the way (you may need to get hold of a Stud Finder to locate them). Then screw the handrail supports to that. You could include some toggle fixings between studs to support the timber strip if the span between studs is large. 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Best fixings for installing a handrail onto a FC clad wall?

Hi @JeffRuss,

It's great to have you join us. It's also fantastic to see you've already received some helpful advice from the knowledgeable @TedBear.

I'd have to agree that toggles for a handrail are not a preferred fixing method. They have a tendency to work themselves loose over time in applications like this. Tedbear's suggestion of securing a plate to the wall first would be the best solution I can think of as it provides a solid mounting point for the handrail.

Please let us know if you need further information or had questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects