Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Big Rig wooden models

bigrigmodels
Growing in Experience

Big Rig wooden models

Here in Minlaton, South Australia I design & build realistic Big Rig wooden models plus even draw up the woodworking plans for those who are interested in this of wood working.

Been a woodworker for as long as I can remember,- Grew up on a Southern Yorke Peninsula farm, but enjoyed wood work heaps more than farm work.

In my younger days, I worked on house projects, concreting work, and furniture restoration, plus even built a bit of timber furniture, etc., etc,- but now I am an, " oldie, " with a few, " creaking hinges, " I prefer designing & building wooden models of our Aussie Big Rigs.some of which, when completed stretch all of 2.9 metres in length !!

1:20 scale Side-tip Quad,1:20 scale Side-tip Quad," Only, " 2.9 metres in length." Only, " 2.9 metres in length.Classic Superliner & tri-axle Low-LoaderClassic Superliner & tri-axle Low-LoaderPair of Kenworth T909'sPair of Kenworth T909'sOne is USA,- One is Aussie.One is USA,- One is Aussie.B-double flat-top.B-double flat-top.The, " Bandit, " - in my back yard !The, " Bandit, " - in my back yard !K108 & a " load, " of West End Beer.K108 & a " load, " of West End Beer.T909 & a load of, Coca-Cola.T909 & a load of, Coca-Cola.Front-angled pic of the T909.Front-angled pic of the T909.Rear doors opened to show the " load. "Rear doors opened to show the " load. "K108 & a B-Double tanker.K108 & a B-Double tanker.Close-up of k108 & B-double tankerClose-up of k108 & B-double tankerAnother Load of, West-End Beer.Another Load of, West-End Beer.T909 tri-drive hauling a triple tanker road-train.T909 tri-drive hauling a triple tanker road-train.

bigrigmodels
Growing in Experience

Re: Big Rig wooden models

Hi KatieC,

Thank you for your compliments.

Re; Graphics on the, " Bandit, " - Nope, not that good, Get all the graphics & decals custom printed by our local commercial print shop who also specializes in doing custom-printed graphics on real trucks as well.

bigrigmodels
Growing in Experience

Re: Here's some more pics of my 1:20 scale Side-Tip Quad Road train.

Hi KatieC,

Currently working on two models, both of which will be quite impressive when completed within the next few weeks.

( 1 ) Kenworth T909 hauling a " load, " of, Great Northern Beer, " - with the correct graphics & correct paint colors as well.

( 2 ) Special Model for our local Minlaton-Port Vincent RSL Sub-Branch for their annual ANZAC DAY community raffle.

That's great @bigrigmodels 

What a great prize for your local RSL ANZAC DAY raffle. 

Cannot wait to see them!

Katie

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

They look fantastic! :smile:

But I wouldn't wanna meet any of those long rigs - full scale - on the road.

woodenwookie
Making a Splash

Funnily enough this is the very reason I got into woodworking.

Once when travelling to Hawera to do a job I noticed wooden toys on the side of the road. One was a milk tanker which is oval and the chap had replicated the curves. This is my goal.

bigrigmodels
Growing in Experience

My latest Big Rig Creation.

1:20 scale Wooden model I made specially for, & Donated to the, Port Vincent RSL Sub-Branch for their Annual ANZAC raffle.

Truck based on a Kenworth T909 hauling a refrigeration unit.

Dimensions;- 900mm long x 127mm wide x 220mm high.

The rear doors open, and the van roof lifts off to reveal interior storage.

Designed & built in Minaton, Southern Yorke Peninsula, South Australia by;- Roger Jenkins.

Graphics designed & printed by Bray Signs, Central Yorke Peninsula, South Australia.

Left side angled viewLeft side angled viewleft side close up.left side close up.Right side.Right side.Front showing custom number plate.Front showing custom number plate.Top of cabin & bonnet.Top of cabin & bonnet.Rear doors closed.Rear doors closed.rear doors opened.rear doors opened.Coat of arms behind bunk.Coat of arms behind bunk.lid off to reveal interior storage space.lid off to reveal interior storage space.Signed & dated by myself.Signed & dated by myself.

Re: My latest Big Rig Creation.

What a corker, @bigrigmodels!

Your detailed work is just phenomenal. Ever thought of integrating electronics for the lighting? Nothing overly complicated, but maybe just running lights down the side. I hear there are some tiny LED lights used as ambient lighting for miniature models. They could run off a battery pack housed in the container. Though, I am in two minds about that. There is something very nostalgic about a full timber model, and the addition of electronics not only complicates things but could ruin the appeal.

Many thanks for sharing another amazing model.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Re: My latest Big Rig Creation.

Hi MitchellMc,

Re; Led Lights,- yes there are 2mm. led's available,- but fitting them is another story,- been there.- tried that,- total disaster to say the least as just too fiddly for me & my old fingers, plus, one mistake & a $700 wooden model is ruined & is good only for firewood,-- which when one is on the Age Pension like I am is very, very expensive to say the least.

prettyliving
Amassing an Audience

Wow these are incredible! 👏🏻👏🏻 @bigrigmodels 

mich1972
Kind of a Big Deal

OMG !!!!! These are amazing , beautiful work there @bigrigmodels  Gosh, just amazing 🤩 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects