Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Crayon inlay coffee table

MitchellM
Amassing an Audience

Crayon inlay coffee table

full.pngIMG_20190221_133557.jpgIMG_20190221_133629.jpgIMG_20190221_145614.jpgIMG_20190221_153012.jpgIMG_20190308_154900801.jpgIMG_20190308_160534580.jpgUntitled.jpg

If your are interested in the products I used to create this coffee table, they were-

-Interbuild 2200 x 600 x 26mm Acacia Solid Oiled Hardwood Project Panel

Acacia Bench top $99

-Cabot's 250ml Cabothane Clear Interior Water Based Varnish

Cabothan water Based $18.30

-Ryobi One+ 18V Random Orbital Sander - Skin Only

Ryobi Random Orbital $99.90

-Ryobi One+ 18V Trim Router - Skin Only

Ryobi Trim Router $99.00

-Ryobi 2000w Corded Heat Gun

Ryobi Corded Heat Gun $79.90

I am a Bunnings team member. Any opinions or recommendations shared here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Bunnings. Visit the Bunnings website for assistance from the customer service team.

MitchellM
Amassing an Audience

Crayon Inlayed Coffee Table

full.png

I am a Bunnings team member. Any opinions or recommendations shared here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Bunnings. Visit the Bunnings website for assistance from the customer service team.

Walter

Re: Crayon Inlayed Coffee Table

@MitchelM. WOW!
Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Crayon inlayed coffee table

Great work @MitchellM. That's a very striking effect!

It reminds me of a post that @MartyH shared a while back about decorating wooden furniture with electrical patterns.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Kermit
Amassing an Audience

Re: Crayon inlay coffee table

Awesome @MitchellM. Love seeing the creativity of Workshop members.  

Corinne
Finding My Feet

Great project and something I'd love to do. You've done a great job with it and looks good. It's great to share things like this on this website or anywhere else.

A tutorial for this comes from Chris Salomone, a wonderful carpenter on youtube who has lots of similar quirky or interesting wood projects. This particular project can be found here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KFGpi5yoz8U and will give you some more detail on how to execute this idea.

Still a great project though!

Mbotstopher
Growing in Experience

Re: Crayon Inlayed Coffee Table

Very Cleverl!

MitchellM
Amassing an Audience

@Corinne I hope you didn't get the impression from me posting my version of the project, that I somehow was claiming to have invented this idea. 

Chris certainly is a wonderful carpenter, I am sure he would be excited to see others using his ideas in their projects also. 

@MitchellM I'm sorry to say so but I definitely feel that when an idea is posted, whether it's a very slightly modified version or not, without credit to the original author most people reading that post would assume that the idea was theirs. This is what I assumed until I watched the video from Chris just a few hours later and realised it was posted a couple of months before this post. Please don't get me wrong I think it's a lovely table and it looks great, and I think it's wonderful to take inspiration from other craftsmen and want to re-create or make your own slightly modified version of something at home. But I do also think it's really important to give credit to the person who inspired you.

@Walter if this also is against the rules please let me know and I'll do my best to fix it for you, thanks!)

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Great discussion @Corinne and @MitchellM. Many thanks for your input.  

As per our Workshop rules of participation, the most important thing is to show respect to all Workshop members, as you have both done. If we all treat others the way we’d like to be treated, this community will continue to grow and continue to be a wonderful place of discussion and inspiration.

Thanks again,  

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects