Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

D.I.Y. table made from four pallets

Peggers
Becoming a Leader

D.I.Y. table made from four pallets

13119115_10153468474731681_8523983426111604583_n.jpg

You can get full instructions for building this table here - How to build a pallet timber table

Yorky88
Becoming a Leader

Re: DIY table made from four pallets

Thanks @Peggers it really does pay to be picky when picking up pallets. You probably already know this no doubt but just in case there are people reading this that are new to working with pallets here. Key things to look out for when picking pallets are. Does the pallet sit flat? If not good chance every slat is twisted including the barers when you pull it apart. Are there cracks all through the timber?  A big thing to check for are bowed slats. Quite often I’ll go to pick up a long pallet and see that the majority of the slats are bowed so I leave it as it’s a waste of time unless you have a particular job that can benefit from bowed timber. I tend to stay from Euro pallets or any other pallets that don’t have solid barers just because they are so much harder to pull apart and a higher likelihood of breakage when dismantling therefore a lot of wastage. 

If if anyone else has any helpful tips when itv comes to pallets I’d love to hear them. 😊

Hi @robyn2202 if you live anywhere near Perth then you would be more than welcome to come round one weekend and jump on the tools and I’d be happy to teach you some of the basics. I have done a few 1:1 tutorials with women before and I taught woodwork in a school for the last five years as well. No pressure just an option.

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Awesome advice, many thanks @Yorky88.

It would be great if you could cut and paste your tips onto this discussion as well - https://www.workshop.com.au/t5/Outdoor-Living/Pallet-DIY-Projects/m-p/2069

It's had over 16,000 views to date so has become the go-to for a lot of pallet discussion here on Workshop.

Thanks again,

Jason 

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
shirley
Just Starting Out

love thismy hubby made one painted the bottom blue and i love this but will be doing some sanding on the top to rough, love yours 

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thanks for joining in the discussion @shirley and a very warm welcome to Workshop. It's great to have you join the community. I trust you will receive lots of helpful information, advice and inspiration for your projects from our community members. 

Please let me know if you ever need a hand to get the most from the site, and I look forward to seeing your table and other projects on Workshop soon.

Jason

Daves880
Cultivating a Following

Lovely job with repurposed wood, very inspiring, Dave880

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thanks for joining in the discussion @Daves880. Good to see you back on the site. I'm sure @Peggers appreciates the complement.

Hope all is well.

Jason

Salmaninoz
Growing in Experience

Brilliant can you please mention what colour stain you use? 

HansoloNZ
Cultivating a Following

@robyn2202, if you can find something called a pallet buster, ( https://www.uopaint.com/products/pallet-buster )pallets are easy to take apart, a friend of mine made me one, since I live in NZ to his own design, but it’s very similar to that one, and wow did it ever take the pallets apart quickly. Failing that a reciprocating saw is also a great tool for taking them apart. Hope that helps 

AnitaH25
Having an Impact

This is so nice, you would never say it was pallets.

WCE2019
Former Community Member

Re: D.I.Y. table made from four pallets

Hello @Peggers

it may be a silly question but...

do you know if a table could be done like yours, but with two pallets?

we have to do a project at school and are limited to 2...

thanks

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects