Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

DIY Carpet Installer

Former Workshop member
Not applicable

DIY Carpet Installer

I will be fascinated to see what people think about this!
I had about 3 lineal metres of carpet to 'retack' onto the tacking strip (the strip that is nailed/glued to the slab/floorboards/whatever and has spikes pointing towards the wall...that stuff!). Bunnings have a great product to use should you wish to DIY that type of carpet installation...

https://www.bunnings.com.au/capitol-d-i-y-carpet-installation-kit_p6820043

However I didn't really want to outlay that sort of money for such a small job...so I dodgy'ed something together that worked well enough! It is pretty self explanatory from the photos I think...though once everyone has managed to stop laughing hysterically at how lame it is :laugh: I can give details if you wish!

Peace

The Captain

Side viewSide viewTop viewTop viewCarpet grabbing part...may be tough to see but the 'tacks' on the wood strip are pointing forwardCarpet grabbing part...may be tough to see but the 'tacks' on the wood strip are pointing forward

Kermit
Amassing an Audience

Re: DIY Carpet Installer

This reminds me of the amazement I felt when I saw new carpet being installed at my first house. I couldn't believe how punishing the job was on the installers, having to belt their knee into the knee kicker over and over again all day. 

Good job @Former Workshop member. I'd suggest some padding for the kicker though! 

Former Workshop member
Not applicable

Re: DIY Carpet Installer

Haha @Kermit :hysterical: yeah I remember seeing the same thing! The guys look like martial artists or something...dropping a 'flying knee' into the end of the thing with some real force!

I totally agree though...grab a couple of spare rags <or whatever> and put some cushioning on the end of it! I found that as the spikes weren't as long as the proper tool they didn't grip anywhere near as well; so to compensate I just left my knee in the same postion whilst pushing down on the front part with the 'carpet grabbing spikes'. From there I just sort of shifted my knee forward and made sure that the tacks held to the top of the carpet - and that when ready - the tacks on the concrete slab engaged as well.

Definitely took a couple of goes and a lot longer than the proper tool; plus I think I will redo bits of it once the Walk In Robe is completed (not sure if I mentiond that as the area that I needed to do it to?). A the end of the day though; I had 3 lineal metres of carpet tack strip to fix. I just wasn't going to get a tradie in to do it and I wasn't going to spend $70 for the decent Bunnigs unit....I think most DIY'ers have encountered smaller things like this where you are stuck for a solution!

Thanks for the reply as well mate :bigsmile: I don't know about guys here; but sometimes the smallest little tip has been a 'light bulb' moment for me; and has saved both time and money. I only wanted to put some photos of that down with the thought that it might help someone somewhere...I have benefitted from guys on this forum's advice and I want to try and give at least SOMETHING back!

Plus I kind of believe that having a laugh at your own 'dodgy shortcuts' is a very healthy thing! Taking everything super serious all the time isn't much fun :grin:

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects