Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

DIY To-Do list for the long weekend(s)

ProjectPete
Kind of a Big Deal

DIY To-Do list for the long weekend(s)

What have you got planned for DIY jobs this long weekend (in Perth) and the upcoming Easter long weekend?

Here's my thoughts on 5 worthwhile jobs that'll help to spruce things up around your home.

1. Oil your deck

The long weekend is the perfect time to oil your deck and get it ready for Autumn outdoor entertaining! Making sure you oil it at least once a year will prolong the life and keep it looking it’s best. Leave it longer between coats and you may end up creating more work for yourself.

ProjectPete_0-1582590755773.jpeg

1. Add a fresh coat of paint

A fresh coat of paint anywhere in your home can give that new house feeling and be an easy way to refresh a space. Brighten things up with a white or try being bold with a darker feature wall.

ProjectPete_1-1582590755799.jpeg

1. Create a timber feature wall

You can add warmth and sophistication with some shiplap cladding or even vertically fixed lengths of half-dowel to any wall in your home. It's a step up from painting but simple and easy to install yourself and can radically alter the look and feel of a space.

Try the Easycraft EasyVJ Primed MDF Interior Wall Linings

ProjectPete_2-1582590755820.jpeg

1. Build a vertical garden

Vertical gardens are very on trend right now and great if you’re limited on backyard space but looking to add some greenery. You can add colourful flowers to create a beautiful display or something tasty and practical with herbs and other edibles. Bonus – it’s also a good option for hiding unattractive fences!

Try this Holman Vertical GreenWall Garden Kit

ProjectPete_3-1582590755875.jpeg

1. Get organised

The long weekend is a great opportunity to do a declutter and get rid of things you may have accumulated over the summer break and organise what remains. Start with one room so you can focus on one space at a time and maximise your wall space by using shelving and hooks to free up space and add valuable storage.

Try Flexi Storage 1200 x 240 x 38mm Oak Floating Shelf

ProjectPete_4-1582590755908.jpeg

Disclaimer: Photos from Bunnings

----------
Handy and helpful
Instagram @projectpete.diy @at.home.rosehill @kayudesignco @aspirebamboo
Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: DIY To-Do list for the long weekend(s)

Great list @ProjectPete!

A newspaper asked us to put together a top 5 to-do list for the weekend, so we put forward Pete to write it as one of our leading Workshop contributors. Unfortunately due to space restrictions they only used one of Pete's suggestions so I asked him to republish the list here as a discussion starter. It was too good to waste!

Workshop community members - what jobs do you have on your list to tackle in the coming weeks? 

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
MitchellM
Amassing an Audience

@ProjectPete Fantastic list, sure the enthuse! 

I am a Bunnings team member. Any opinions or recommendations shared here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Bunnings. Visit the Bunnings website for assistance from the customer service team.

Hope all those lucky enough to have this Monday off enjoy a relaxing and productive long weekend. Let us know if you need a hand with any projects you are tackling.

Jason

woodenwookie
Making a Splash

Here in Taranaki we have Taranaki Anniversary day on Monday so long weekend for us.

My plan is to try and replicate this:

https://steemit.com/appics/@woodenwookie/appics-v1-appics-im-108082

This video is one I took of a toy Little Woodie got out from the Toy Library. The windings have intrigued me and I’ve not seen anything on the Net to show me how it works.

It’s a tower crane and as you turn the wheel it pulls or pushes the hook winding along the arm. The best I can workout is that it’s a single piece of string that unwinds and winds each end as you turn it.

Brad
Kind of a Big Deal

Friday water a garden and paint a door.

Saturday was assemble Ikea furniture.

Sunday and Monday varnishing café tables.

Tuesday is me time with an event to attend and the VIP after party ( Not sure how I made that list? )

wooshka
Making a Splash

Building a screen outside the laundry door that will run on barn door tracks, next to the one in the pictureIMG_20200223_142219.jpg

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Great project @wooshka. Looking forward to seeing how it comes together.

You might be able to help Workshop member @Caron with a bit of advice about her barn door project here - https://www.workshop.com.au/t5/Whole-of-House/Barndoor-Hardware/td-p/39238. It would be great if you could assist in any way.

Thanks,

Jason

ProjectPete
Kind of a Big Deal

Easter long wknd

Fri - Continue feature fence project with goal to finish by Monday. I've so far completed 15lm (31.5sqm) of James Hardie Newport cladding on my rear boundary fence and 5lm (10.5sqm) of James Hardie 6mm Hardieflex sheets on my left boundary fence with about 12lm (21.6sqm) to go inclduing the subframe. Once it's all up I'll be painting it with Dulux Finecover texture paint to give it a rendered finish.

Sat - #Wifey's bday.

Sun - Easter Sunday = family time!

Mon - Finish feature fence project

I was going to do my Western Red Cedar (WRC) castellation cladding on front of my house but decided to finish the feature fence project before starting a new one.

ANZAC Day long wknd

This is when I get the WRC castellation cladding done on the front of my house (Portico).

And if I have time I'll be freshening up my decks with a couple coats of oil. I've previously applied a matte finish but going to try a 'wet look' this time round to keep it looking fresher longer.

Will be happy to tick these couple of projects off.

----------
Handy and helpful
Instagram @projectpete.diy @at.home.rosehill @kayudesignco @aspirebamboo

Looking forward to seeing the fence @ProjectPete. Make sure you take plenty of pics and share them on a new discussion as your poolside fence cladding project at your previous house was a very popular one and inspired loads of people.

Jason

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects