Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Double door security bolt won't unlock with key

Coco_M
Cultivating a Following

Double door security bolt won't unlock with key

Hi experts,

There is a security lock at the bottom of these double door and it will not unlock with the key.

There is nothing showing on the other side of the door, and no space underneath the door (1-2mm).

How do I unlock it? I can't see anything in the small hole. The key turns and makes clicking sounds but it does not unlock.

Any help appreciated! Thank you.IMG-3321.JPG

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Double door security bolt won't unlock with key

Hi @Coco_M,

Multi-tool blades are very thin, and there's a good chance they'll fit into the 2mm gap. The tool is relatively easy to use; you just push the blade edge onto the item you want to cut. The blade oscillates back and forth, creating the cutting motion.

Please let me know if you have further questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
JoeAzza
Kind of a Big Deal

Hi @Coco_M 

Try tapping the bottom cap of the double ended hinge, using a flat blade screwdriver and hammer, if this comes off, then you come continue to remove the hinge pin, as instructed by @EricL 

I have attached a video of  how it’s done.

https://youtu.be/HzP1JzOgQi4

Coco_M
Cultivating a Following

Thank you Mitchell.

Coco_M
Cultivating a Following

Thanks. Seems easy in the video, but I can even fit a precision screwdriver in under the cap !!!😂

Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

So there's definitely a cap involved with that hinge? Just looks like it has manufactured ends. Joe's video mentions the cap "has" to be at the bottom - but does it?

Have you tried pincers? Both ends?

20230213_092739.jpg

An edit @1335 hrs today...

Just a thought - it's only the bottom pin that's stuck in the locked position - yes?

Cause if it's top and bottom - removing these hinge pins will achieve nothing?

JoeAzza
Kind of a Big Deal

@Coco_M @If you don’t have a multi tool, a simple hacksaw blade will do the job, it may take a bit longer to cut, eventually it will get through, just wrap one end of the blade with lots of masking tape, to form a handle, then proceed to cut , the hacksaw blade needs to be fine tooth, 32 teeth per inch blade will do the job.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Coco_M 

That's excellent advice coming from @JoeAzza. I also suggest having a quick look at the Trojan 300mm Mini Hack Saw. Please make sure to wear gloves, goggles and a dust mask when using this tool.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
JoeAzza
Kind of a Big Deal

@Coco_M just been thinking if the key keeps on slipping, trying wrapping the end of the key with aluminium foil, this might be enough to take up the slack of the worn teeth inside the locking pin, then try in the keyhole to see if this works

Coco_M
Cultivating a Following

Yes bottom only. But I am not sure there is a cap on the hinge at all....

Coco_M
Cultivating a Following

Thank you - that seems easier. I will get one. 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects