Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Electric rodent repeller

AndreaNg
Having an Impact

Electric rodent repeller

Anyone tried those sonic mouse and rat repellers that you plug-in? We've heard some scratching around above our ceiling inside our roof and I think its a rat or mouse rather than a possum - they are much louder!! I like the sound of not having to use baits or traps, but it sounds too good to be true… Anyone had any experience or luck with them?

KingStreetReno
Making a Splash

Re: Electric rodent repeller

We had an invasion of mice back in autumn. We tried everything to get rid of them including multiple types of traps...we were told that the electric rodent repeller doesn't really work, so I returned it.

The only thing that worked for us was to get in the professionals who set up pet-friendly traps for us. They were gone almost immediately. We used Jim's Pest Control in Melbourne - not cheap, but they came to our house same day.

Jackson
Making a Splash

Thankfully, I've never had to use them myself... but I've heard mixed results via word of mouth. Some people think they're great, others have told me they've watched rats just chilling right next to them. Basically, they're hit and miss. 

I think you're best off using a trap (non-lethal if you're a pacifist). They seem to have a 100% success rate amongst people I've spoken to.

Dale
Having an Impact

I'm one of those unfortunate few who are sensitive to those electronic repellers.  More than 15 minutes in a house with one and I'll have a thumping headache.

It's like I have tinnitus.

Kermit
Amassing an Audience

This reminds me a bit of the elephant repellent joke.

#1: "You want to buy some elephant repellent?"

#2: "But there are no elephants around here!"

#1: "It's working already!"

When I asked about these when we had a few furry friends roaming around our place I was told that if the rodents have already set up a nest at your place then the noise is unlikely to drive them away. However, if they haven't yet established themselves and are just looking for food then the noise might be enough to drive them (at least) next door. So if you've already got a problem, I'd suggest that baits and/or traps are the way to go.  

Dale
Having an Impact

@Kermit wrote:

So if you've already got a problem, I'd suggest that baits and/or traps are the way to go.  

Be careful with baits and traps.  Make sure you remove any captured rodents or you'll end up bringing in bigger pests like possums.

Make sure to remove any potential food sources for the rodents and make sure your property is generally clean and tidy.  If food source is easier somewhere else they'll move.  Also, if you're that type of person, invest in a cat.  It's amazing how much of a deterant just having a cat in the house is.  Pets also come with other benefits.  :smile:

Kermit
Amassing an Audience

Oh, the other thing with traps is that you need to always wear gloves. Rats in particular are smart and if they can smell us on the trap they are unlikely to go near it. 

AndreaNg
Having an Impact

Thanks everyone, very helpful.

AndreaNg
Having an Impact

The scratching is back! Last time I tried a trap without any luck so then put some bait down in the ceiling, which seemed to do the trick. Looks like I will be back to get some more... 

Kermit
Amassing an Audience

I saw today that there's an electric (battery-powered) mouse trap that electrocutes the vermin when they enter the box and step on a plate inside it. Apparently its quick and humane. 

https://www.bunnings.com.au/the-big-cheese-electronic-mouse-killer_p3010410

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects