Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Essential and nice to have hand and power tools when starting out as a woodworker

BigFella1956
Building a Reputation

Essential and nice to have hand and power tools when starting out as a woodworker

Dear All, Many thanks to those of you for your valuable feedback on my table saw question. 

I have another question which I should have also asked at the same time.

Having decided to make the exciting decision to go down the rabbit hole and become a woodworker, I do not have the budget to go all out and buy all the tools that I think I might need or want at once.

I have chosen to start making what you might call "standard" jewellery boxes and, over time, I would like to increase my skills and start making boxes that are more ornate or exotic. From there, the sky is the limit and I will continue to hone my skills and progress to whatever takes my fancy.

Budget or not, in starting out there will be those power and hand tools that will be essential to have, and there will be those that will be nice to have.

This is where my knowledge is lacking so once again I seek your advice as to which tools are either essential or nice to have for someone like me starting out.

Stay safe.

Regards, Chris

r23on
Amassing an Audience

Re: Essential and Nice to Have Hand and Power tools when starting out as a woodworker

Hi Chris while waiting for the covid crap to settle you may find this site of interest:-

https://www.youtube.com/user/woodmasterclass/videos 

With what you have in tools there is a lot you can do. Now don't laugh when I started a "few" years back all I had to my name was a Black and Decker drill kit. it comprised of an electric drill a sanding /buff disk and a 6in cir saw attachment and a few drill bits and the steel case it came with. My drill press was a drill stand in which I could put the drill into, Bunnings and portable saw tables did even exist from that I built a coffee table 1.2m x 400mm x 400mm with a sliding glass top and a terrarium 500mm x 500m x 400mm and a few other things, all this was don't in a two bedroom flat.

Regards and enjoy life

BigFella1956
Building a Reputation

Re: Essential and Nice to Have Hand and Power tools when starting out as a woodworker

Thanks again r23on, thanks for the site, I'll check out the videos. No doubt we'll be in touch. Chris

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects