Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Fascia board repair

JoeAzza
Kind of a Big Deal

Fascia board repair

I am currently painting my weatherboard house, I found this fascia board had some wood rot, instead of replacing the whole board, I replaced a section of the the rotted timber using Cyprus pine pickets cut and glue to shape, I used  Sikaflex polyurethane glue to fit it in place

Materials

Materials used

Cyprus pine picket

Sikaflex polyurethane glue

Tools

Mitre saw

125mm Sander

Clamps

Router,  to cut  slot for water run off.

Steps

Step 1

IMG_1506.jpeg

Rotted  fascia

JoeAzza_3-1702089038931.png

Cut out damaged area

JoeAzza_0-1702088699916.jpeg

Fabricate and glue up new replacement cypress pine timber

JoeAzza_1-1702088802155.png

Router a slot for water run off to match existing fascia board

JoeAzza_6-1702089346003.jpeg

When glue has dried, sand and shape new piece of timber to fit in place, then glue and clamp in place 

JoeAzza_5-1702089301094.jpeg

 Now it’s ready to undercoat and finish paint

JoeAzza_7-1702089452133.jpeg

Now for the rest of the house.

Has any got any suggested to prevent future timber rot/decay ?

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Fascia board repair

What a great solution @JoeAzza. That's surely saved you a great deal of time and effort to replace the whole board.

I suspect that given the proximity to the gutter, there's potentially been an ongoing leak, or the gutter is not graded sufficiently, and this has been an overflow point. That water has managed to get into the timber beam, and decay has set in. It might be a bit difficult now, but painting the end of the timber would help prevent water ingress. 

I'd try to block off and fill up the end of the gutter with water to see if there is a leak letting water migrate into the end of the timber. Resolving leaks in the gutter would go a long way to preserving the timber.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Re: Fascia board repair

Thank you @MitchellMc @for the advice,  I did notice that the original board was cut to fit tight against the gutter wall, so I thought that may have been the cause, not allowing water to escape, I made the new piece a bit shorter so it wouldn’t touch the gutter.

i will try to get some paint on the end of the board, hopefully out will last for a long time. Wood rot is my biggest issue, mostly on weatherboards.

here is a photo of a weatherboard that will need repair or replacing.

IMG_1521.jpeg

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects