Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Floorboards popping up, how to glue them down again pls

Pharian
Just Starting Out

Floorboards popping up, how to glue them down again pls

Hi,

I have some wood floors in my apartment which I think were damaged by water prior to our buying the apartment. Our neighbour told us that about 10 years ago the previous owners flooded their whole apartment. I reckon that's when these boards went wrong, they're right outside the bathroom.

Essentially, they pop up a few mm and feel spongy. They are clearly not glued down in several spots, especially around the edges of the boards.

From what I can tell they are 5mm thick either hardwood or engineered wood. I don't know which though I'm leaning towards actual wood because it sort of looks like uniform wood all the way through on the side of the pieces. Maybe you can tell from the images.

I think when they were installed they came in pieces that were 3 planks wide because I can see at the joins it is always 3 planks together and in a couple of spots where they aren't glued properly anymore all 3 planks raise up as one piece. They are also different coloured planks all in the same triple plank piece.

Anyway, I am wondering if I can just glue them down again and if so what I should use to do that?

I found a IFK-Kit Injection Floor Repair kit online which looks like the business, but I have no idea about this so I wanted to check with someone who knows about this stuff before jumping in.

Also I can't find anywhere to buy it online (their website responds saying they are busy and will reply eventually) http://www.stauf.com.au/index.php/259/@ ... ion=detail

Is there a special type of glue you can recommend that I could just buy a tub of from somewhere, and a big syringe from bunnings or something? Or what can you recommend?

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Also, any help on whether or not it is engineered wood or actual hardwood, and also if anyone happens to know the type/model/brand that would be really useful.

Below is a photo of the side of the wood with the underflooring (this one piece broke out completely so I can see the side of the surrounding pieces). Then the 2 photo's below show the edge of one of the boards being pushed back into place.Flooring Problem (1).JPGFlooring Problem (4).JPGFlooring Problem (5).JPG

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Floorboards popping up, how to glue them down again pls

Hi @Pharian,

Welcome to Workshop and thanks for making your first post. I'm sure our ever helpful community will be happy to share some advice with you. Let me tag a couple of helpful members in @PJA and @ProjectPete who might like to kick off the discussion for you.

Please don't hesitate to post anytime you need a hand with a project or a problem around the house and garden. We have amazing members sharing helpful information, advice and project inspiration on the site every day.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Floorboards popping up, how to glue them down again pls

Apologise for the slow reply @Pharian.

Have you had any success in fixing the flooring back down? There is a two-part Epoxy Selleys 5 minute Araldite which would be suitable for this project. It comes with a syringe-like nozzle, dries clear and does not require clamping. I would recommend weighting the board down to assist while drying.

In order to apply it into the splintered gap, you may need an actual syringe as the nozzle may still be too big. You could squirt the product from the Araldite nozzle directly into a syringe and apply it that way. That would allow you to get the glue much further underneath the damaged portion.

If I can assist you with any further information, please let me know.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects