Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Forest1 Red Oak Plywood panels edge banding

PeakyBlinder71
Building a Reputation

Forest1 Red Oak Plywood panels edge banding

I would like to know if you can get edge banding for the Forest1 Red Oak Plywood Panels, maybe on special order?. I was meant to get a call from Shawne (Lifestyles co-ord Craigieburn Warehouse) in regard to this. That was 10th December 2021 so I'm not holding out

much hope.

My other question is can you get any larger Forest1 Red Oak Plywood Panels other than the largest ones you stock in store which

is (1200x800)?.

Sam

PeakyBlinder71
Building a Reputation

Re: Forest1 Red Oak Plywood Panels Question

Hi Eric,

Thanks for the reply & your support. The way I tested the veneer was quite simple really. A cabinet maker once told me, to see if a wood will take a

finish, "wet the surface" slightly with either water, turps or white spirits. In this case I used an old rag soaked in white spirit and went through every board veneer to make sure it darkened evenly and didn't leave any dry streaks in the grain, like the defective boards did.

The honey colour was thanks to sealing the wood first with two coats of shellac. F&W Gloss varnish on its own brings the grain out more and imparts

a rich golden colour - nice stuff!.

I really look forward to hearing what forest1 have to say, if they would like to speak to me directly I can message you my phone number to pass onto

them. I hope its a one off because these boards are actually very nice. I especially like the crown cut veneer patterns and most of the plywood

have a wide leaf, which makes for a less repetitive grain pattern.

Sam

Re: Forest1 Red Oak Plywood Panels Question

Many thanks for your patience and working to find a solution Sam (@PeakyBlinder71). I'll be keen to hear Forest1's thoughts as well.

Please keep us updated on your project as I trust everyone will be keen to see the finished work. You've certainly put in the effort. 👍

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects