Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Gap between door trim and flooring

Annlouis
Just Starting Out

Gap between door trim and flooring

We replaced our timber flooring (14.5mm) with hybrid floorboards (7mm) and realized this has left a ~7mm gap between the floorboards and the door trims/frame. [Clearly we are amateurs in this field and only thought of floor color and not height while purchasing the new floorboards!!] :tear:

Is there a way of fixing the gap without replacing the door trims? Please HELP! :tear: :tear: 

any DIY suggestions, if yes could you also recommend what materials we'll need from Bunnings? Thanks in advance for your help!

IMG_20210816_184652.jpg

IMG-20210816-WA0020.jpg

IMG-20210816-WA0019.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: gap between door trim and flooring

Hello @Annlouis

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. Thank you for joining us and sharing your question about filling the gap between the door trim and flooring. 

I'm sorry to hear that you missed this particular detail in your renovation. I recommend using a Project Panel 1200 x 897 x 7mm Premium Grade Radiata Plywood. Slide it into the gap and trace the shape of the door trim with a pencil. You will need to use a Trojan 165mm Coping Saw to cut the shape out. I recommend using Flexovit 100mm x 1m 240 Grit Painted Surface Sandpaper Roll to shape it to perfection. 

Once you have the perfect timber filler glue it in place using Selleys Ezi Press 130g Liquid Nails. The last step is to fill the join with timber filler and paint it to the same colour. Repeat the process for the remaining gaps. However, gaps along the straight wall can be covered with Glosswood 19 x 19mm x 3.6m White Gloss Quad Trim Hardwood. Please keep us updated, we look forward to seeing the gaps filled.

Let me tag our experienced members @JoeAzza  and @TedBear for their recommendations.

If you need more advice or information, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
JoeAzza
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: gap between door trim and flooring

Hello @Annlouis

Just to add to .@EricL  advice, Bunnings sell trim the same colour as your timber.

JoeAzza_1-1629160958813.png

JoeAzza_2-1629161046033.png

JoeAzza_3-1629161148606.png

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects