Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Hairline crack on ceiling

micheleBB
Cultivating a Following

Hairline crack on ceiling

Hi, need advice for hairline ceiling crack repairs. Had two plasterers coming yesterday to repair the hairline ceiling crack lines. Two lines were not long at all. The guy went up the roof and he said put timber in and screw the ceiling crack area then patching. He didn’t put on mesh tape or paper tape on hairline crack lines during coating. I asked him why didn’t. He said no needs. Today I can see the line there on ceiling after patching. Any advice pls? 

StevieB
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Re: hairline crack on ceiling

Thanks for your question, @micheleBB 

Let me mention our resident D.I.Y. expert @MitchellMc who will be happy to offer advice and help with any questions when he's back on the site on Friday.

The Bunnings D.I.Y. advice about How to repair cracks in plaster might also be of assistance. I have attached the video below.

Look forward to hearing about any plans you have for around the house and garden.

Stevie

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
redracer01
Kind of a Big Deal

Hello @micheleBB 

Welcome to Bunnings workshop. It sounds like he did not put in enough plaster to cover the hairline crack. Does he plan to return today and finish the job or did he say it was all good and there was no need for him to come back? In any case you can repair this yourself if you have the proper tools. On a side note if you are not happy with the repairman's job call him back to do it again.

- A ladder to reach the ceiling

- Plastic plaster joint knife ( to spread the plaster )

- Polyfilla for easy fix of cracks

- Sanding block to finish or sanding pole

- Ceiling paint

Unless you are not able to tolerate heights then perhaps a family member with more tolerance to high vertical positions is needed.

Set ladder and make sure it is stable

Go up with Polyfilla and joint knife and start filling the crack

Wait for drying time

Sand to finish. You may use a sanding pole for easier use.

Touch up with ceiling paint.

Cheers,

Red

Screenshot_2021-03-31 Polyfilla 340g Quick Dry.png

I am a Bunnings team member. Any opinions or recommendations shared here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Bunnings. Visit the Bunnings website for assistance from the customer service team.

micheleBB
Cultivating a Following

Thanks for quick responses. Yap, I tried to ring the tradies yesterday and the guy rang me back at later night. He will come tomorrow as he said. He said due to ceiling structure movement, the hairline cracks needs to put timber on roof to make sure no cracks would occur in future. And he did that way this Tuesday. But on ceiling itself, he didn’t put tapes on the crack line side. (The hairline crack line was not long). I am still confused: whether tapes are necessary or not, he said not. They also did patching after the plumber removed old gas wall heater wall site and put a new plasterboard in. No tapes on the edge as well. There was a new hairline crack at patching  after they patched the edge the day after. 

micheleBB
Cultivating a Following

Thank you. I saw this video on Bunnings before and did follow the steps as per instructed. But I found it so hard for me to even up when patching. Even after sanding, there was not even on the patching wall. I don’t have much skills for DIY work. Will go to Bunnings workshops whenever available at my local store. 

Hi @micheleBB,

If cracks appear after the plaster has dried, they need another coat, as @redracer01 mentioned. If you continue to see cracks, then the area needs tape or additional support. I'd encourage you to keep following up with the tradesperson until they complete the work to your satisfaction, as you shouldn't expect to see cracks or notice the repairs after they are finished.

Mitchell

micheleBB
Cultivating a Following

Thanks for quick response and advice. The hairline crack lines have been filled but the line still there. Is that normal like that? Thanks 

Hi @micheleBB,

You shouldn't expect to see any lines, cracks or distortions once the plaster repair has been completed and the area painted. Have you painted over the plaster repair yet? You might like to show us some images of the area so we can advise if the finish would be considered normal.

Mitchell

micheleBB
Cultivating a Following

F4B896BB-F12B-4DAE-B657-277FB6933F6B.jpeg

micheleBB
Cultivating a Following

Thanks for advice; the Tradie did patching and repair this Tuesday (as in the photo); we will do painting part as Tradie didn’t mention painting part and we will do painting part. 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects