Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Hardwood bi-fold barn doors

LePallet
Amassing an Audience

Hardwood bi-fold barn doors

I custom built these beautiful recycled hardwood bifold barn doors to make this small space functional. The two doors are have hinges in the middle and have one barndoor roller on each end at the top which all work together for the doors to open up and slide across.

IMG_3617.jpeg

Akanksha
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Re: Hardwood bi-fold barn doors

Another terrific project under your belt, @LePallet! Congratulations. A great way to make that space functional and terrific use of recycled materials as well. 

Do you have any tips for those members looking to build bi-fold doors of their own? I'm sure they'll appreciate your advice.

Akanksha

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Afternoon @LePallet 

Wow! That is a nice door you have built :smile: How do you stop it wanting to pivit at the top? I was trying to figure it out and the only thing I could come up with is another rail at the bottom to lock the doors in. I think I must be missing something. 

Any chance you have some more photos of the installing side of it?

Dave

LePallet
Amassing an Audience

thanks @Dave-1 

there is a Pivot Pin which is secured to the ground on the bottom left door. 

I do have a video of it opening up which is really cool, but it didn't let me download it. I will try again and see how it goes 

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Morning @LePallet 

Now that makes sense! I was staring at it, trying to nut it out and my brain was just a bunch of ??? lol

Love that door!

Thank you

Dave

JudithW
Growing in Experience

Looks great and has got me thinking.

Do you have an instructibles page?
It looks like a great way to add cupboard doors in a tiny house.

Judith

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @JudithW 

Thanks for sharing your question about the bi-fold barn doors. Let me tag @LePallet to make them aware of your questions. It is a very interesting assembly as he mentioned that there is a pivoting pin on the bottom of the left door. The more I think about it the more impressed I am as I can't picture how the pin was installed in the door itself. Perhaps they'll have more assembly pictures to share.

If you decide to go ahead with this project, please don't forget to post an update. I'm sure our members would be keen to see how you'll be building and installing this door.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
helsbren
Building a Reputation

I love this look @LePallet. I didn’t know that you could do a bi-fold brand door like that! Do the rollers swivel to be rolled like that? I wish you were in WA to build me some too!

Caron
Making a Splash

Stunning doors snd very clever idea!!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects