Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Hardwood storage unit - My first project

Shagen
Building a Reputation

Hardwood storage unit - My first project

After almost 2 months (mostly working on weekends), I completed my first project. I only had circular saw, a power drill and an orbital sander at that time and this was using only those tools. It was hard work and the hardwood was very hard to work with. On hindsight, should have used pine and stained it.AE9D18B0-57BE-4953-AB25-DBF2A87C4C20.jpegE7C8C090-D154-4112-A114-9F6A16E4D9B1.jpeg5FE16DEC-AA38-4BCD-A4DA-DFA61A695352.jpeg400674B4-3AE4-447B-872D-2F5BC72D9B85.jpeg8773B33E-E885-4D57-8AA6-9E305F4AD8B3.jpeg431DC12A-D994-434B-8F47-F7A2510A6D42.jpeg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: My first project

Hi @Shagen,

What an amazing project and you should feel very proud accomplishing it with only basic tools. Working with hardwoods will always be extra work, but looks at those results. You now have a unit that will last much longer than one constructed from pine.

How did you get the top smooth like that as I presume you used decking which has a rounded edge? I can't believe how nice it turned out, what coating did you use on it?

Many thanks for sharing your project and we look forward to seeing what you will be creating next around your house and garden.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Shagen
Building a Reputation

Thanks @MitchellMc, that’s it took me about 2 months. Didn’t realise how hard it would be to work with Kwila but by the time I realised it was too late. 

It is not quite perfect but I love it.

I bought the Kwila decking timber and got the circular saw to trim the edges. Wasted a few pieces as it dint quite work out the way I wanted. Glued them together and clamped them. Then I used clear varnish, applied 3 coats. Was shining when it was drying but became matt when it dried.

Since then, I have invested in a Ryobi table saw. Hopefully my next project is a lot easier.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

@Shagen,

That sounds like a great learning experience Congratulations on investing in a Ryobi table saw as I trust it will be a wise purchase decision. We look forward to seeing you next folding table project, please keep us updated on your progress.

Fantastic job once again.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Tara86
Amassing an Audience

@Shagen  Well done that looks amazing!! Such a great job for your first project 😊

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects