Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Hinges for a butlers table - fold over the tabletop to double size

ivanrostas
Just Starting Out

Hinges for a butlers table - fold over the tabletop to double size

Hi there, I want to put a table in my van, but from time to time the rectangular tabletop (80 x 50cm) it will need to become double width. So I have two bamboo tops at the ready, and would like to have a couple of hinges along the 80cm length to allow what appears to be a double thickness table to fold over and become a 80 x 100cm.  I hope I've explained that well enough.  The attached two pictures show the principle of the action/hinges I am after, in this case two 'leaves' fold up to make a larger table.

Does Bunnings stock hinges that will do the job?  The hinges will have to stop of course, so they don't swing any further from a flat table. ie. the hinge moves through 180 degrees.

Cheers!

https://www.amazon.com.au/Folding-Tiberham-Machine-Backflap-Furniture/dp/B07PXB1DBC

img_2016-07-13.jpgimg_2016-07-13_10.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Hinges for a "butlers table" - fold over the table top to double size.

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @ivanrostas. It's sensational to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about creating a folding table.

We can order you the Goliath Stainless Steel Cupboard Hinges that appear almost identical to the ones used in your image. Hinges like these don't usually lock at 180-degrees. It's the timber edges meeting that governs how far the top opens. The issue is that although the folded section stops at 180-degrees, the weight of the timber will make it droop. I'm sure you've seen it before, but typically you'd have some type of leg system that helps to support the unfolded section. An Adoored 735mm Pine Round Furniture Leg can be cut to the correct length, should be easy to store when not in use and conveniently screws into an Adoored 3/8" T Nut that is fixed into the tabletop. I've created a rendering below to illustrate better.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

T1.png

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Re: Hinges for a "butlers table" - fold over the table top to double size.

Hi Mitchell

I plan to use the table top on top of a Lagun mount.  So a leg is not ideal as the Lagun mounts versatility is being able to move around - orbit if you will - around a couple of pivot points.  A little swing out support though from under the main table perhaps, to support the weight of the new leaf.

Those hinges look like they will work.  Thank you very much for doing that render.  

lagun.jpg

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects