Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

House renovation to create open plan area

kevinhu
Finding My Feet

House renovation to create open plan area

Hi Everyone, I would like to renovate my house. The floor plan is as below. I watched the video of "How to create an open plan living room" and found my house's current plan looks similar as the house before renovation in the video. My contractor also suggested to create an open plan area . That means  I have to knock down a few walls and change the place of the kitchen, spend at least 20-30k more on the renovation. I would like to spend the money if it worth it. The current kitchen is about 10 years old as the following picture. Should I move the place of kitchen? Does any body have better idea and give me some suggestions. Thanks a lot. 

image.png

floorplan1 .jpg

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: House renovation to create open plan area

Hi @kevinhu,

Welcome to the Workshop community. We're really pleased you could join us and look forward to seeing your renovation help transform your house. Feel free to post anytime you need a hand as we have helpful members sharing advice and inspiration on the site every day. 

Let me tag one of our most experienced renovators in @2Belindas who might like to kick off the discussion for you.

One thing that I would be interested in knowing is what is currently outside behind the kitchen and dining area? It seems the perfect spot for an outdoor entertaining area that could flow out from an open plan living, meals and kitchen area.

Thanks,

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi Jason,

Thanks for your kind response. The outside look is as the pictures below.

outside1.jpgoutside2.jpg

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Many thanks for the extra photos @kevinhu.

Let me tag a few helpful members who might like to kick off the discussion. @Isobel@ProjectPete@redracer01 

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hello Kevin,

I suggest to place the kitchen at the far end of the room once you take the walls down. Keep the bar if you like to entertain. Keep the linen closet. You can never have enough linen closet.

___kevinhu1.jpgkevinhu2.jpgkevinhu3.jpgkevinhu4.jpgkevinhu5.jpgkevinhu6.jpg

I am a Bunnings team member. Any opinions or recommendations shared here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Bunnings. Visit the Bunnings website for assistance from the customer service team.

Kermit
Amassing an Audience

Definitely go with an open plan kitchen. It will become the focal point of the house.   

hello Redracer,

Thank you very much for your suggestion and the 3D plans. I am still waiting for the tenants to move out. I will let you know the new progress. 

Thanks, I will consider your suggestion. 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects