Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How can I tile in a rental property?

Pat33654
Just Starting Out

How can I tile in a rental property?

Hi all, 

i leased this property which has the concrete floor and i want it to be tiled But the owner of the property doesn't want his floor to be messed afterwards which means he doesn't want it be screed. can anyone tell me the options how can i install the tiles in this area, without screeding straight to concrete floor.

-Concrete floor is uneven. 

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: How can I tile in a rental property?

Hi @Pat33654,

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. We're pleased to have you join us and trust you'll get loads of help and inspiration from our clever and creative members. 

Could we please trouble you for a few photos of the flooring so we can see what you are working with? Is this outdoors or indoors? 

Please let me know if you ever need a hand getting the most from the Workshop site. 

Many thanks,

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Pat33654
Just Starting Out

Screen Shot 2021-12-02 at 2.06.26 pm.pngScreen Shot 2021-12-02 at 2.06.47 pm.png

Hi Jason, 

Thanks for replying, Its indoor area Please let me know if you require any further information. 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Pat33654

Thank you so much for posting those photos. My apologies for the late reply. If the cement floor is uneven and you tile directly over it, any imperfections to the level of the floor will be reflected on the tiles above. I recommend using Lanko 20kg 173 Floor Leveller. It's a cement-based levelling compound for use over concrete sub-floors, prior to the application of floor coverings. This would be the easiest option for you to get a flat even floor. Another method is to hire a concrete floor grinder. This is a more involved process as you will have to seal off any area that you don't want to be covered in cement dust.

Between putting in the floor leveller which is a one time process versus multiple steps with a grinding machine the choice is clear. However, it is possible to tile straight over the cement floor. But as I've mentioned earlier any imperfections on the floor level will be reflected on the top. I suggest using Davco 20kg Grey Ceramacrete Tile Adhesive. It is an ideal tile glue for use on cement floors.

Have you considered installing HanWood Home 5mm 2.64sqm Capella Oak Hybrid Waterproof Flooring as an alternative? Please note that if the cement floors unevenness is not addressed, it will still reflect on the artificial flooring on top. 

Here are links to some handy guides.

If you need more advice or information, please let us know.

Eric

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Pat33654,

If you're not looking for permanent solutions, I'd suggest not applying any glues or self-levellers on these floors.

Could I ask what you intend to use this area for as it appears to be an office/warehouse space. I'd suspect that the owner might not want any permanent modifications done to the floor as it would be load rated and suitable for heavy machinery to be driven over it. If they were ever to return the area back to a warehouse, undoing the tiling and removing the glue would be a costly experience. Depending on what you are using the area for, the concrete is a durable material suitable for the many of the uses of a semi-industrial environment.

How un-even is this floor? Is it just the expansion joints you refer to, or is the surface rough and inconsistent on the floor? It looks similar to the polished concrete floors used in our stores, which is usually pretty flat.

Instead of tiling, there are some solutions which you could consider. Could you tell us a little more about why you would like to tile? Was it that you didn't like the look of the concrete, or were there other reasons that you wanted tiles? Have you considered something like Hybrid flooring? It's hard-wearing, robust, 100% waterproof and comes in various styles. It will dramatically improve the area's look without the need for permanent modifications, and you can install it yourself. 

The other option you could think about would be Self-adhesive vinyl tiles. You might need to clean some traces of the residual glue off the floor when you leave, but this would be an easy and cost-effective way to cover the floor with a tile effect. You could even lay vinyl sheet flooring without using glue. Without the glue, it can occasionally shift, though I've laid it in my laundry without glue, and it hasn't moved at all.

I'm keen to hear more about your intended usage of the space and help find a solution that works for you.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

Tam88
Finding My Feet

Hi Pat, 

Have you looked at a decoupling system? Some tile adhesive manufacturers make matts designed to be fitted to the floor before tiling. Eg, Ardex make a product DS 60 that does exactly this. 

I hope this helps. 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects