Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How do I install curtain brackets into the wall?

jsuyat
Cultivating a Following

How do I install curtain brackets into the wall?

I recently bought these curtain brackets to hang curtains: https://www.ikea.com/au/en/p/betydlig-wall-ceiling-bracket-black-80217227/

I determined that I would need to use wall anchors for the screws as there are no studs where the brackets are going to be installed.

So I bought these from Bunnings: https://www.bunnings.com.au/ramset-nylon-wallmate-plasterboard-anchor-10-pack_p2260973

However, the anchors wouldn't easily install into the wall. Absolutely impossible self-drilling with a PH, drilled a pilot hole and still wouldn't go in, tried even drilling the anchor in and still the anchor would resist the wall. And then the anchor broke and now we're left with a hole in the wall!

What am I doing wrong?!

For background on this house, it was built in the late 50s. Based on some of the plasterboard I saw during renos, it is quite thick compared to standard plasterboard I see these days, so perhaps that was the issue.

Anyone have any tips?

JaneK
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Re: How do I install curtain brackets into the wall?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @jsuyat and thanks for jumping right in with this question.

Could you share a photo of the wall that you're drilling into? That might make it easier for our community members to help diagnose the problem and offer solutions. Let me tag the ever helpful @MitchellMc and @redracer01 as they might be able to help.

Jane

Found the answer you needed? Mark it as Most Helpful
redracer01
Kind of a Big Deal

Hello @jsuyat 

I suggest doing a test and investigation. Using hammer and nail test, place the nail in to the hole and lightly hammer the nail in. If the nail anchors itself firmly odds are you've hit the some sort of timber framing for the window. Being 50 years old the timber could have petrified and is now very tough to drill in to. Next step is to do a drill test. Using a 6G drill bit lightly drill in to the wall. If you get timber shavings then odds are there is timber back there. If it comes out red and dusty there is brick there. Please tell us what you find. Once you've determined what material is there at the back of the plaster board then you can use the appropriate anchor for you to use for your bracket. Good luck and stay safe.

Cheers,

Red 

I am a Bunnings team member. Any opinions or recommendations shared here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Bunnings. Visit the Bunnings website for assistance from the customer service team.

jsuyat
Cultivating a Following

Thanks for the welcome @JaneK  

Thanks for the tips @redracer01 , will try this test out tonight

I've also taken photos of what the hole looks like now

IMG20210310092717.jpg

IMG20210310092649.jpg

Not sure if this really shows anything

jsuyat
Cultivating a Following

Hey @redracer01 we drilled right through and didn't hit anything on the way. There doesn't seem to be anything behind where we are drilling, and the drill bit only had plaster.

Here is what the hole looks like now:

IMG-20210310-WA0009.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @jsuyat,

It's great to see you are already receiving some helpful assistance form the knowledgeable @redracer01.

I just thought I'd add that you might like to consider using Ramset 3 / 16" x 75mm Spring Toggles instead of the Ramset Nylon WallMate Plasterboard Anchors. I've got some old thick plaster in my house and sometimes have difficulties installing the Wallmate anchors. The spring toggles are much more appropriate for a curtain, and despite their same weight rating, will hold more securely. You just need to drill an appropriately sized hole and push the spring toggle through. It will then expand, capturing the plaster from behind.

Please let us know how you go.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
jsuyat
Cultivating a Following

Hi everyone,

Thanks for all the advice!

Took a trip to Bunnings and bought the spring toggles. Went home, then realised we needed a 14mm drill bit as instructions said, so went back to Bunnings. 

Was then recommended by one of the team members to use these: Ramset Super Wallmate Toggle Anchor as it required a smaller hole to drill into the walls

Success! These were able to be self drilled into the thick plasterboard too.

We now have curtains up and am loving the privacy

Before: (string on these venetians eventually broke and we couldn't fully close it on one side)

IMG20201101175653.jpg

After:

IMG-20210313-WA0004.jpg

Thanks everyone for your advice, much appreciated!

Hello @jsuyat 

Let me give yo my celebratory shout for a successful DIY Huzzahh!!!

Cheers,

Red

I am a Bunnings team member. Any opinions or recommendations shared here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Bunnings. Visit the Bunnings website for assistance from the customer service team.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

It's fantastic to hear of your success @jsuyat! Those curtains look amazing, and I trust much easier to use than the string.

Many thanks for sharing your results, and I look forward to your next project. Please let us know whenever you need assistance or have something to share with the community.

Well done.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects