Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How do I remove screws that are stuck in place?

MaryTonnz
Building a Reputation

How do I remove screws that are stuck in place?

I am replacing some doors with concertina doors and need to take them down, but most of the screws are stuck in place and my drill is not getting them out. How do I get them out without destroying the door frame?

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: how do I remove screws that are stuck in place?

Hi @MaryTonnz,

Could you upload an image of the stuck screws for us? With a little more information, I'm sure our helpful members will have some great suggestions. Have the screws been painted over, or are their heads stripped out, or are they rusted? I'd imagine there is some reason why they are stuck, and we'll need to investigate further.

I look forward to seeing some images and offering a solution to the issue.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
MaryTonnz
Building a Reputation

20210924_155703(3).jpg

It looks like the heads of the screws have been stripped out due to the paint not allowing the driver bit to grip properly, @MaryTonnz. You could try scraping out the paint in the head or what I like to do is put a phillips head screwdriver in the screw and give the handle a firm tap with a hammer to break the paint. If the screw heads are stripped out completely, then you might need to drill them out with a drill bit to remove the hinge.

Mitchell

MaryTonnz
Building a Reputation

Thank you Mitchell

Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

Hi Mary.

Sometimes I use an abrasive cutting wheel on a Dremel like device and cut a slit for a slotted screwdriver.

Otherwise you could try these...

20210924_150943.jpg

MaryTonnz
Building a Reputation

Thanks for that :smile:

MaryTonnz
Building a Reputation

I now have the screws off and ready to take off the plates. how do I:-

1. do that safely without damaging the door frame ?

2. fill in the spaces they leave behind to make the door frame smooth again?

Hi @MaryTonnz,

Were you able to let us know how you got the screws out? I'm sure many of our members would appreciate knowing your technique.

I presume the hinge plate is stuck to the door as it has been painted over. If so, carefully run a blade around the perimeter of the edge of the plate to break the bond between it and the door frame formed by the paint. Once that is done, you should be able to start at the front of the hinge and slip a fine flat head screwdriver behind the plate and gently prize it out. 

You can fill the area with Selleys 230g Plastic Wood Filler Cement. Using a scraper, push the filler into all the gaps, but try not to build it up too proud of the door's frame. Do it in a few coats if you need to. Once the filler is flush or slightly proud of the frame, use sandpaper on a sanding block to smooth it out level.

You'll then be able to prime the area and paint.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

MaryTonnz
Building a Reputation

Ok that sounds easy enough.

Thank you Mitchell :smile:

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects