Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How do I weatherproof my entrance door?

Raewyne73
Getting Established

How do I weatherproof my entrance door?

Hi I've purchased 2 entrance doors, one is subject to extreme weather conditions. What should I coat them with to maintain their appearance and resistance?

Screenshot_20211013-200414_Chrome.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How do I weatherproof my entrance door?

Hello @Raewyne73

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. Thank you so much for joining us and sharing your question about how to weatherproof your entrance door.

It's fantastic that you've got some new doors for your house. Depending on the finish you wish to have on your door, I recommend the following products. The Feast Watson 1L Spar Marine Varnish is a flexible marine-grade timber varnish with high gloss designed to withstand the rigors of the sun, water, and harsh outdoor treatment. Because this varnish is made for the open sea, it will provide superior protection for your doors. I suggest testing a small area of your door first to see if you like the finish on it. Certain types of timber react differently to varnish, so it's best to see what it might look like before committing.

The other paint you can use is the Dulux 1L White Aquanamel High Gloss Enamel Paint. This paint has been formulated to withstand high traffic areas such as doors, skirting boards and window trims. It can be tinted to your preferred colour and has the convenience of water clean up.  It is vital that when you paint your door, to paint not only the front and back but to cover all the sides as well. It is often the side not painted that gets damaged first. 

My best recommendation is to use Crommelin 1L Flat Aquablock Waterproof Primer Undercoat before putting on the Aquanamel. This primer seals, binds, and provides protection against water and moisture.

Here is a handy step-by-step guide: How to paint your front door

Let me tag our experienced members @diy_hausdesigns and @ProjectPete for their recommendations.

If you need more advice or information, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Raewyne73
Getting Established

Thank you very much for the information, this was exactly what I wanted. I emailed to the manufacturers of the doors and the were not very helpful at all. Where as your comment is perfect thank you.

Raewyne73
Getting Established

@EricL do you know where I could find a good instruction video to install entrance doors and the hardware ie door handles and locks ?

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Raewyne73

I've placed some links below for you to have a look at. It would be fantastic if you could provide us with some photos of your project before, during, and after. I'm sure a lot of our members would be keen to see this project. 

Here are some handy step-by-step guides:

If you are installing a more robust entrance door handle such as the Gainsborough Stainless Steel Manning Combination Entrance Knob Set, I suggest using the Irwin Door Lock Installation Kit.

If you need more advice or information, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Jason787
Finding My Feet

I wonder whether you might think about creating some overhead protection for the door instead? Might be also good for coming in and out of the house to be protected from the elements?

@Jason787  you are most definitely right. This is my future plan to build a covered in deck, but with wood prices at the moment it's a little bit out of my budget. The door I have currently at the entrance shows how extreme the weather is, so for now I have left it until I can get a builder to do the work. 

Thank you 😊 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects