Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to build a wheelchair ramp?

Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

How to build a wheelchair ramp?

Heading for surgery next month and need a wheelchair ramp for an indoor step that I will only need for two weeks hence I'm using scrap plywood.

I'm trying and failing to cut an acute angle where the ramp meets the floor. The plywood is 1110 mm long and 900 mm wide with the step being 160 mm in height. I am an overweight man.

This is what I've managed - but I intended to cut the black line. Overestimated the table saw's capabilities.

Thoughts?

Advice?

20221023_113657.jpg

Re: How to build a wheelchair ramp?

Thanks for your kind wishes Brenda!  @brendawebster44 

My experience was very different Brenda. I found Canadian Crutches not only impractical for the first two weeks but extremely dangerous.

Since I started this thread I've been looking closer at hospital equipment for hire today - I'm gonna go with this...and not the wheelchair.

Capture.PNG

Hi again Brenda @brendawebster44 

"I always thought plywood was a soft wood"

It's 19mm thick and there is a support midway under it. More than enough for an elderly obese man on a one leg scooter. 😁

And there is no drag-inducing carpet in the house.

Thanks!

20221023_133122 (1).jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Noyade

The one-legged scooter looks to be so much more practical than a wheelchair. Your ramp looks very strong and sturdy, it's good that you got that angle you were going for. I know it is still a few weeks away, but I'm wishing you a quick recovery and hope everything goes well.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

Many thank Eric! 👍

Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

G'day @EricL 

"The one-legged scooter looks to be so much more practical than a wheelchair."

You are so right mate! I cannot believe how stupid my thinking was!

Self-propelling up this ramp is impossible and potentially lethal.

I test drove my wheelchair this morning and nearly ended up in hospital earlier than expected. I admit it's a cheap Kmart chair without the back supporting wheels but the moment you attempt to propel yourself up the ramp it's natural instinct is to flip you backwards. The centre of gravity is too high. Even when I manage to go very slowly up the ramp - the moment you let go for the next 'grab' you roll backwards. If you try a one by one hand technique, you simply roll to port or starboard. Of course, going down the ramp is not a problem by myself.

If someone pushes me up the ramp - not a problem. But self propulsion - impossible.

But it looks so easy!?But it looks so easy!?

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Your post, @Noyade, really paints the picture of everyday issues that someone who uses a wheelchair might experience. Really eye-opening for me that such a ramp would cause issues. I'll spend some time investigating gradients that are suitable for wheelchair users.

One of the highlights of my career was that I happened to be at the right place at the right time and was able to assist a customer with a wheelchair up a significant gradient for a fair distance. I felt privileged to be able to make their day just that little bit easier. It wasn't a big thing, but it stuck with me.

Mitchell

Hi @MitchellMc

I've pushed thousands of people in wheelchairs - but next to nil experience being in one and It clearly shows with this failed ramp. A quick measurement reveals a 1:6 gradient (excessive??). It'll be interesting to see what research data you come up with. Ridiculous as it sounds, I'm rather shocked by this - even my youngest son who is fit, healthy and strong tried it and nearly ended up on his back.

As I mentioned above, there are no small support wheels and it's impossible to get a "run up" in the confined space.

Hi Noyade, so sorry I can’t believe I didn’t remember the knee chair. All the best brenda 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

@Noyade

It appears that if the overall height is between 35mm and 190mm, the maximum gradient is 1:10. For <35mm, the maximum gradient is 1:8.

Mitchell

Thanks @MitchellMc 

38015799654_60b79fc154_b.jpg

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects