Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to build an indoor bird enclosure?

PN
Having an Impact

How to build an indoor bird enclosure?

Hi All I am a total DIY novice. So reaching our to all the gurus in here for guidance. I have got a unusual project. We are wanting to build a L shaped enclosure in our living room for where we keep our pet cockatiels and budgies. The enclosure we are wanting is around waist high with a base running from two walls and intersecting in an L and a clear material waist high L shaped enclosure stting on the base. The aim is to prevent the seed debris etc from the birds rolling across the entire living room. I am wanting guidance on how build this. I am imaging two pieces intersecting in a L and then something other than glass forming the 'wall' of the enclosure. I have enclosed two photos of the area which we want to bound by the enslosure. I am probably not very clear in explaining what we are after so thanks in advance for the help.

Area to enclose ( the L )Area to enclose ( the L )Side view of the LSide view of the L

PN
Having an Impact

Re: Indoor Bird Enclosure

I am thinking of using clear acyrlic sheets to create the L shaped enclosure. to Join two acrylic sheets with acrylic cement to bond the two sheets. 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @PN. It's fantastic that you've joined us, and many thanks for your questions.

You might like to sketch out a diagram, so our members fully understand the details of your project. For example, is this L shaped enclosure starting at floor level and extending up to waist height? Are the cages going to be placed on top of this structure? I can understand the acrylic sheets and how they will retain the seed and debris, but I'm a little unsure how you want to create the structure. If you could provide a few more details, I'll be happy to draw you up some designs and recommend products you can use.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
PN
Having an Impact

Hi Mitchell

Thanks so much. The L shaped enclosure will start at floor level and extend up to approx waist height. The cages will not be on top of the structure they will be 'inside' the structure with the L shaped structure in effect acting like a boundary wall to keep seed and debris in. I have enclosed a very rough sketch of how I visualise the two pieces of the L will intersect to complete the rectangle with the other L in the rectangle being the two walls. I have enclosed rough measurements also of the two arms of the L based on their distance from the two walls of the living room. And I am envisaging having a 'door' cut into the acyrlic sheet to get in and out of the enclosure. Thank you so much Mitchell for your help with this. It is greatly appreciated.

Thanks 

Partha L Shape dimensionsL Shape dimensions

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Partha (@PN),

I suspect you'll need to construct a solid timber frame that can be mounted to the wall on either side with angle brackets. The frame will not only hold the acrylic sheets but allow you to butt the smaller sheets together. I'd suggest placing your access door against one of the walls as you'll need a solid point to mount hinges.

Here are some images to get you started. They are drawn to scale using the 900 x 600mm acrylic sheets.

Mitchell

PN
Having an Impact

Thank you Mitchell. With joining the acrylic sheets what type of glue would you suggest. And with the timber frame what type of timber should I use. 

Thanks

Partha

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Partha (@PN),

If you were to drill through the sheets, you could then screw them directly into the frame, and glue wouldn't be needed. If you want to join the sheets, you could use something similar to Parfix 300g Clear All Purpose Silicone. I believe that 42 x 19mm 2.4m Premium Grade Dressed Pine would be sufficient for the timber. Alternatively, you could increase that to Porta 42 x 42mm 2.4m Standard and Better Pine DAR for extra strength.

Mitchell

PN
Having an Impact

Thanks Mitchell. That is very helpful. The timber frame structure is something I will struggle with building as I have zero experience in building anything like that.In terms of creating the structure what sort of tools will I need Mitchell?

Thanks

Partha

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Partha (@PN)

Let me also extend a very warm welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. We're looking forward to seeing this project come together, and also reading about your plans for other projects around the house and garden. Feel free to post whenever you need a hand or have something to share. 

@MitchellMc is taking a well-earned break today but will be back on the site tomorrow to assist you. Many thanks for your patience in the meantime.

Jason

PN
Having an Impact

Thank you Jason. Good to e-meet. Hope you are not working too much on this public holiday. 

thanks

partha

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects