Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to clean window frames?

birdie
Growing in Experience

How to clean window frames?

Hi Workshoppers,

Any idea what I can use to clean up these window frames?

I have tried detergent and vinegar and also a paint scrapper (which didn't achieve much).

Is there anything else I can try?

Window grime 1.jpgWindow Grime 2.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to clean window frames?

Hello @birdie

Thanks for sharing your question about cleaning your aluminium window frames. I suggest trying Scotch-Brite 155 x 100mm Heavy Duty Scourer Pad - 6 Pack with dishwashing soap and water. If the blemishes still refuse to come off, I recommend trying Rocket 100g Grade 3 Coarse Steel Wool - Trade Pack. Please remember to scrub the frame in an up and down motion, it will take some time so please be patient and keep scrubbing until the blemishes start to come off. 

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
prettyliving
Amassing an Audience

Hi @birdie 

Maybe try Gumption. I’ve got the most stubborn marks out of surfaces with Gumption, it’s fantastic stuff! 

birdie
Growing in Experience

@prettyliving Gumption! Forgot about Gumption, haven't used it in years. I'll give it a go, thank you.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @prettyliving

I had totally forgotten about Gumption Paste 750g Multipurpose Cleaner. Combining this along with the steel wool should yield better results than just using dishwashing soap and water. Plus it will leave your window frames smelling lemony fresh.

Eric

Akanksha
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi @birdie,

Great to see you've already received some fantastic advice and replies to your question. Jumping in quickly to share you can also find some great tips related to cleaning windows in general here: What is the best way to clean windows? | Bunnings Workshop community 

In case it helps. 

Akanksha

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects