Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to cover or seal a perforated ceiling mould?

Dajlbn
Finding My Feet

How to cover or seal a perforated ceiling mould?

Hi,

I have ceiling moulds in the corner of the ceilings that are perforated.  Any ideas on simple ways to either cover or seal?  They let in a lot of dust!

Thanks

ceiling.jpg

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: How to cover or seal a perforated ceiling mould?

Hi @Dajlbn,

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. Let me tag one of our resident Bunnings D.I.Y. experts in @EricL for his thoughts.

You might be interested in this Best Advice article - Can you block the air vents in an old brick house?

Please let me know if you need a hand getting the most from the site.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Dajlbn

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. Thank you so much for joining us and sharing your question about covering a perforated ceiling mould.

I suspect that this is a form of ceiling ventilation that is linked to a whirlybird on your roof. One way to cover it is to use a Project Panel White Corflute - 900mm x 600mm x 3mm in combination with Selleys 100g Clear Ezi Press Wet Area Silicone Sealant.

I suggest tracing the area of the ceiling mould that you wish to cover with pencil and paper. Once you have the shape cut it out with scissors and place this shape on the corflute. Trace the shape on the corflute and cut it with a Stanley Knife.

Once you've cut the shape you need. Put a small bead of the silicone sealant close to the outer edge of the corflute. Push your cut out cover onto the mould, I suggest putting on some masking tape in the corners to hold it in place until the silicone cures. Once dry make sure to remove the masking tape.

There are other methods such as cutting the mould out and re-plastering your ceiling, to using plaster repair sheets to cover the holes on the mould. This method I've suggested is the quickest way to cover it without spending too much on the project.

Let me tag our experienced members @tom_builds and @TedBear for their recommendations.

If you need more advice or information, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Awesome thank you. 

I don't think they are related to ventilation as there are 4 in each room as well as two other big vents above bathroom and laundry.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects