Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to design a stable dining or outdoor table?

paulmp
Growing in Experience

How to design a stable dining or outdoor table?

I'm looking at building our family a new dining table, I quite like the Bunnings RapidMesh furniture legs (the square / rectangular ones, not the angled ones), they are 700mm wide, I'm wondering if there is a way to calculate how wide of a top I can put on it with it still be safe for people to lean on? 

I'm aiming to have a 2200mm x 1200mm top if possible, I'm just worried one of the kids is going climb on it and tip it over.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to design a stable dinning or outdoor table

Hi @paulmp,

The fulcrum and tipping point of the table will be determined by the weight of the table and distance the edge is past the leg. You intend to use a 700mm wide leg set on a 1200mm wide table and the edge of the table would be 250mm past the leg on either side. I don't believe 250mm will provide enough leverage for a child's weight to tip the table. I've contacted Rapidmesh, and they have advised that as long as the tabletop is centred over the legs with the weight being evenly distributed, they can not see any issue.

In their product image below, you'll note that they have an overhang not dissimilar to what your intentions are. I would encourage you to use a top with a decent amount of weight to help counteract any weight placed on the edge of the table. You might be interested in using our laminated hardwood panels.

Please let me know if you need further assistance or had questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects