Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to dispose of asbestos from 1960's brick house renovation?

swonkers
Just Starting Out

How to dispose of asbestos from 1960's brick house renovation?

Lots of asbestos. Does anybody know of a good way of disposing of asbestos that doesn't cost the earth?

Also, I have bought British Paints Ceiling paint and am painting over old ceiling that has a gloss finish. Can I paint straight over the gloss?

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: I am renovating a 1960's brick house

@swonkers,

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. We trust that you'll receive lots of helpful advice and inspiration for all your projects from our wonderful community members.

As our resident D.I.Y. expert @MitchellMc has previously shared, you'll find some helpful information in this guide: Asbestos for households and the general public. You'll also find this factsheet useful. We need to strongly advise you not to take risks with asbestos to save money. Your health and the health of others around you is paramount. You must wear appropriate PPE whilst working with asbestos, and this includes disposable overalls and shoe coverings, gloves, and a class P1 or P2 disposable respirator appropriate for asbestos.

For further information, see the bottom of the guide linked above. There are several contact numbers where you can get assistance and advice on dealing with asbestos.

This is an important point from the Asbestos awareness website:

"Most people can’t tell whether building materials contain asbestos just by looking at them. Only scientific testing of a sample of material by an accredited National Association of Testing Authorities (NATA) asbestos testing laboratory can confirm the presence of asbestos. For a NATA Lab List call 1800 621 666 or refer to their website at www.nata.com.au. When searching for an asbestos testing facility use a capital A in Asbestos."

Let me also tag @EricL to share his thoughts.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @swonkers

Using half measures such as sealing and painting does not mitigate the danger of having asbestos in your home. I agree that it is an expensive exercise. However, the long-term benefits outweigh the possible immediate effects of asbestos exposure. With the asbestos removed, you will not have second thoughts about nailing into your wall to hang a picture, cutting into your plasterboard wall to add an electrical outlet, or worry if you're putting up a shelf.

Special training, equipment, and disposal protocols are needed to properly remove the asbestos in your home. It's also a plus to your property value if you ever decide to sell it, you can confidently say that your house is asbestos-free. It may seem expensive having to remove it now but in a few year's time, you'll say you got it on a bargain.

Make sure to get a minimum of three quotes so that you will know the going rate of asbestos removal in your area.

Let me tag our experienced members @TedBear and @JoeAzza for their recommendations.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

TedBear
Kind of a Big Deal

Hi @swonkers,  I lived in a house containing  asbestos for many years.  Regarding the cheapest way to deal with it, that has to be don't disturb it, as stated in the online guide book.

For removal, I recommend following the advice already given... it's a job for professionals.

I  would advise  deglazing the gloss paint before painting due to the risk of the coat not adhering properly and peeling within a short period. Perhaps @EricL  or @Jason will know of Bunnings paint products that will stick reliably to the gloss.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @swonkers 

If the paint on your ceiling has a high gloss finish, you need to sand it with a pole sander before you paint it. I suggest using sugar soap to remove any oil and grease contaminants that may have built upon it. I recommend using Dulux 4L PRECISION Maximum Strength Adhesion Primer White as a primer on your ceiling. You can then use any ceiling paint you want. 

Here is a handy step-by-step guide: How to paint a ceiling 

If you need more advice or information, please let us know.

Eric

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects