Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to ensure under house doesn't flood again?

totocol
Building a Reputation

How to ensure under house doesn't flood again?

12ADAA0D-3F6F-4193-83E8-B866F73964A6.jpeg

41C88E9B-9704-4C08-897F-A1DBEF2B90FF.jpeg

BA62409B-773C-4C1D-955A-51B13C42A68D.jpeg

  

We live in an area that had a lot of rain over the last couple of days. House is above ground but we got a bit of flooding under the house and it looks like a lot of the water flows into one area. Photos attached. 

I’ll probably get a submersible pump but wanted to know if this is something I should correct in a more permanent way to ensure water does not pool there. My main concern is that if it goes another 20-30 cm it can actually flood and aircon unit and crate a shirt circuit I imagine. I also wanted to check if submersible pumps usually come with a long hose to be able to channel the water to a different location or if that usually needs to be purchased separately 

any feedback would be great. Thanks! 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: flooded under house

Great work, @totocol!

I think most houses on the east coast have some type of moisture in their crawl space at the moment. It's somewhat unavoidable when the soil surrounding the house becomes saturated. You're doing well with the ventilation bricks, and just the flowing air is enough to dry out residual water. However, it's never great to have a moist environment under a house, and you could certainly look at installing a Bradford White CSR EcoFan Sub Floor Ventilator. For the most effective setup, you should consider the Bradford White CSR EcoFan Sub Floor Ventilator - Twin Pack. You'd set the fans up on opposite sides of the house and have one powered to draw fresh air in and the other to exhaust moist air out. This creates cross-flow through the crawlspace. You wouldn't need to run them all the time, but it could be an excellent way to assist airflow after heavy rains.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
totocol
Building a Reputation

Thanks @MitchellMc 

i have purchased the twin pack one and will be installing soon. My only quick question is that I could not find any power point in the subfloor so my idea is to use a heavy duty extension lead to Run it to a power board in the subfloor and to connect it to a power point that is outside and currently used for the water heater and the connect. Given that these are not very demanding equipment, would this be ok or would you recommend to get a proper electrician to add a power point in the sub floor? thanks! 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @totocol

With such critical pieces on your wall, I recommend engaging the services of a registered electrician. They'll put in the proper power points that will keep you and your electrical system safe in case it gets flooded. This would also be the perfect opportunity for you to connect these fans to an automatic switch that you can turn on/off via wifi.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @totocol,

The D.I.Y.er in me would like to say use an extension cord, but I'd agree with @EricL here. I think it's best to have them hard-wired in or have powerpoints installed next to them. Provided there is some type of WiFi signal down there, you'll be able to use a couple of these Arlec White Grid Connect Smart Plug In Socket With Energy Meter to remotely control the units.

Mitchell

totocol
Building a Reputation

Thanks @MitchellMc and @EricL 

we have now installed the fans and got an electrician helping us with a couple of new power points. Now running the fans a few hours per day using the smart plugs 

Thanks again! 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Love it @totocol! You've done a fantastic job, and I trust you will be well prepared for the next big downpour.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects