Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to fill gaps between floor and wall?

TaylorJ
Just Starting Out

How to fill gaps between floor and wall?

We have some areas in our house were the flooring and foundation have pulled away from the wall. How do we fill these in?  Thank you

20210731_164743.jpg

20210731_164804.jpg

20210731_155442.jpg

20210731_164919.jpg

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: How to fill gaps between floor and wall?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @TaylorJ. We're pleased to have you join us.

Apologies for the slow reply. It's been very busy on the site recently with so many people in lockdown and tackling projects around the homes. 

Could you please tell us what kind of floors you have? It's a little hard to see from the photos. And what are the walls? Perhaps just some wider photos might help members to see what you are working with if you are unsure.

Let me also tag helpful members in @Nham@Brad@Prawns and @jaga to see how they would go about these repairs. Our resident Bunnings D.I.Y. expert @EricL will also be happy to help as soon as possible. Thanks for your patience in the meantime.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @TaylorJ

Thank you for sharing your question about filling the gaps between floor and wall.

My apologies for the late reply. I totally agree with your observation that there seem to be quite a number of gaps. I suggest fixing them in sections. I recommend using Sika 310ml White SikaSeal Acrylic 100 Gap Filler for the gaps on your floor. If you have old silicone attached to the wall I suggest removing them with a 100mm Sharp Edge Paint Scraper making sure not to damage the wall while removing the old silicone.

I suggest covering the gap on the ceiling with a Porta 30 x 18mm 2.7m Primed Finger Jointed Pine DAR. Measure the size of the gap and cut a piece of the timber and use Selleys 420g Liquid Nails Fast Grab Strong Adhesive to glue it on the inside gap of the crown moulding. It may be worth engaging the services of a structural engineer to find out if the movement of the foundations is severe enough to warrant a repair. 

Here is a handy step-by-step guide: How to silicone a gap

Let me tag our experienced member @JoeAzza for his recommendations.

If you need more advice or information, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
JoeAzza
Kind of a Big Deal

Hi @TaylorJ

I agree with .@EricL

I had a similar problem with gaps in between floor and walls, allowing air, dust and spiders to get in, I have used No More Gaps, however, it was ok for a while, then the gap increased with time, the caulking compound gave way opening up the gap, so this time I removed all the caulking product, and got some roof and wall insulation and tore it into strips and pushed it into the gaps, then covered with skirting boards, hopefully this will work, it's been installed for over a year , so far no dust or spiders.

JoeAzza_0-1627952151573.png

JoeAzza_1-1627952374209.png

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects