Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to fix a loose door handle?

Mark-notsohandy
Finding My Feet

How to fix a loose door handle?

I admit, I'm not so handy - but to fix a door handle to a door should be easy...shouldn't it?  I have a wardrobe door that is hollow and the door handle (two screws) has over the years gotten loose.  I've tried unscrewing the two screws, patching with compound, drilling and putting in a plug, reattaching the door handle and ... darn thing pulls out almost immediately.  I don't really want to replace the door, but I am stumped on what to try next.   I've thought of getting really long screw/bolts to extend through the hollow part of the door and to the back, but I'm not sure if that is the right, or next, or only option I have.  I have six doors with handles, but only one that is a problem (so far).     Any and all tips are welcome.  My wife is so over having to open the adjoining door to pop open this door with the problem, and I agree with her, that doors are not my thing.  Help...please.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Door handles Argggh

Hello @Mark-notsohandy

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's splendid to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about your wardrobe door handle.

It sounds like this wardrobe door is special. Before I make any recommendations. Would it be possible for you to post a picture of the door with the handle on and off? This will give our members a chance to assess the condition of the door. We can then propose recommendations on how to repair it. 

Your absolutely correct wardrobe doors are often hollow. What we need to determine is what kind of material is the wardrobe door made of. Is it compressed timber fibre, Plywood or some other artificial material? 

We look forward to seeing the photos.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi Eric, and for your interest with my issue.  I am not sure what the door material is exactly.  I am sure it is not solid timber, and I suspect that the door is likely compressed fibre.  I've tried a couple of patch types (Plastic Wood, etc) but they don't seem to hold.  I've also tried a couple of plug types to see if I could get something to open up in the cavity (three different types now, plastic one, a metal one that has a point to adhere it to the door, and one that was to have butterfly opened) all with no success.   The entire house uses these types of handles, so I don't want to get into having to use a new type/style if I can avoid it.  I suspect that the doors may have been custom built for the house, as the wardrobe is built in under a loft in the bedroom.  Non of the other doors in the house are like the wardrobe doors - they are more of your traditional construction and much more sold (no problem with them).

Thanks in advance for whatever recommendations/help you might have.

The pictures are attached.

Cheers!

MarkDoor (with my latest plastic wood patch)Door (with my latest plastic wood patch)

The handle with the latest plug I triedThe handle with the latest plug I tried

Hello @Mark-notsohandy

Thank you so much for posting those photos. After much deliberation, I suggest drilling through to the other side of the door and using a Pinnacle M8 x 50mm Zinc Plated Round Head Bolts And Nuts - 4 Pack in conjunction with a washer that is one size bigger. I'm recommending this repair method because the current holes in your wardrobe door are already too big. 

The steps involved in the repair would be to bring the mounting plate to the store to make sure that the threaded screw you choose is big enough that it does not fall through the mounting hole of the mounting plate. If the screw pack includes the nuts, then all you need to match it with is a washer that is one size bigger. The purpose of the washer is to make sure you don't over tighten the bolt and nut assembly.

I have included a diagram so that you'll have an idea of how it will be put together. My number one tip for this repair job is to put one drop of Loctite 5g Precision Liquid Super Glue after the nut has been tightened into position. this will prevent the nut from being vibrated loose with the constant pushing and pulling.

Let me tag our experienced members @TedBear and @JoeAzza for their recommendations on how to repair your wardrobe handle.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

Hi Eric, I finally was able to get to Bunnings and talked to one of the folks (David) in my store about my problem and the solution being proposed. David suggested that I alternatively try something called a Lane - Dummy Lever Fixing Set, essentially a dummy back plate with locking screws for the door lever and...it has worked out perfectly!  The dummy lever fixing set was inexpensive, and took about a half hour for me to measure, drill, and install.  My wife is so happy with my new found skills - and here door working at long last :smile: lol.   Thanks again for everyone's help in getting this issue fully resolved.  I am likely to be back within the next week to by 5 more of these fixing sets for the rest of my wardrobe doors.  Cheers! Mark

Hello @Mark-notsohandy

You may have to change that name to Mark-sohandy now! It's great to hear that you've found a solution to the door handles. Plus the bonus of making your wife very happy. I suspect there may be other projects being lined up as we speak.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects