Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to strip paint from old laminate furniture?

livyjune97
Just Starting Out

How to strip paint from old laminate furniture?

Hi there, I’m just wondering what I can use to strip paint from an old laminate sideboard without damaging the laminate? 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Stripping paint from old laminate furniture

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @livyjune97. It's amazing to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about removing paint.

Is it laminated timber or a plastic/melamine laminate? Most older furniture is a thin timber veneer over lower grade plywood or particleboard.

If it's a timber veneer, you can use a paint stripper, but it will likely remove any varnish on the timber as well. You'll also need to sand the furniture to remove any paint/varnish remnants. Since the veneer is exceptionally thin, you need to be very careful that you don't sand through it. 

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: How to strip paint from old laminate furniture?

Hi @livyjune97,

Let me also extend a very warm welcome to the community. 

I trust Mitch's response was helpful. Perhaps you could share a few photos of your furniture so we can see what you are working with. It would also be great to see some after photos when you are done - our members would love to see what you can achieve with the project.

Thanks,

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects