Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to fix cracky wooden floor?

vica
Having an Impact

How to fix cracky wooden floor?

Hi ,mates.

We have a small area (130*320cm)in our kitchen that has wooden floor.We've noticed that bits of its colour seem to be flaking away .(picture 1)

70855255-6031-4F5D-9BFD-B4C56B023FDE.jpeg

And living room (about 25 square meters)is near kitchen ,there are some cracks in its wooden floor.

(Picture 2)

DD5D4FF8-5D0C-41A4-9509-AB1B85C35094.jpeg

I'm concerned there could be permanent damage to the floor if I leave them.Can anyone offer some suggestions on how to fix these or make them look better? We are considering to sell this house next year.

Thanks

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to fix cracky wooden floor?

Hi @vica,

Many thanks for your questions, I'd be happy to assist.

Your first picture seems to show wear on the coating applied to the timber. This happens to all coatings after some time and you'll notice it first in high trafficked areas like in front of the sink. You can attempt to spot treat those areas, by sanding back to fresh timber to remove the dark discolouration and applying a polyurethane floor coating.

Whenever trying to fix an individual section of the floor there is always a risk that the repair will be noticeable. You should consider if it would be in your best interest to sand and coat the entire floor. If you are planning on selling then a fresh coating on the floor would certainly be appealing to buyers.

Your second photo appears to show a natural character flaw in the timber and not a crack as such. I see no reason to touch this unless you don't find it appealing. You could match the darker colouring of the flawed area and use Timbermate wood filler to fill the voids that are present in it. This won't remove the flaw but will fill in the porosity and assist in binding the timber.

Let me mention some very knowledgable members @Brad, @ProjectPete, @Stuardo and @APEX_Restore to see if they would like to join the discussion.

Please let me know if you require further information or had any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thank you!

I think maybe wooden floor need care daily. Any advises about this ? Very appreciated!

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @vica,

There is a range of products which can be used on wooden floors for their everyday maintenance and to extend the lifetime of coatings applied to them. Some of these products include O-cedar 450ml Clean And Shine Timber Floor CleanerLong Life 1L Timber Floor CleanerCabots 1L Floor Clean and Feast Watson 1L Floor Clean. These products are specially formulated to work on hardwood floor coatings, provide a streak-free finish and to rejuvenate timber floors prolonging their life.

Mitchell

vica
Having an Impact

some advises of floor fix I ask for help

Morning ,mates!
I find some cracks of wooden floor are not flat,like holes . May I use wooden filler to fix them? I know nothing about them except a video on Bunnings website. My old scraper is 100 mm , I want a new one to fix floor, would you mind to commend some?

Thank you !

Vica

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: some advises of floor fix I ask for help

Hi @vica,

After having another look at your first picture you might like to consider Waxstix to re-colour the area. I've inserted a video on how to use the products down below.

For a scraper to use with timber putty I would recommend a plastic scraper, as the last thing you want to do is damage the timber floor more with a metal one. A handy hint is that you want to remove the excess putty prior to it going hard. Once it has become solid you'll need to sand it flat and you don't want to be sanding the floor.

Please let me know if you need further information or had questions.

Mitchell

Re: some advises of floor fix I ask for help

Thank you a lot !

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects