Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to fix grout next to skirting?

hopelessatdiy
Just Starting Out

How to fix grout next to skirting?

Hi everyone - I am very much a DIY novice. Parts of my house are tiled (hallway, kitchen, bathroom). The grout is deteriorating or just now completely gone where it meets the skirting. 

I have recently had a lot of ants and the pest control guy did a spray yesterday and suggested that the gaps are an entry point. The first picture is of the tile as it meets the wall/skirting of an internal wall in the kitchen. The second picture is my front way in the entryway.

How do I go about filling/sealing the gaps around the house to prevent ants/bugs?

Thanks in advance. 

80396447-F9A0-4B5D-B2E3-36EBC70536C4.jpeg

7C56CC23-07A1-4D30-B635-B908C13D9B95.jpeg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to fix/seal grout next to skirting

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @hopelessatdiy. It's fantastic to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about sealing gaps around the home.

A tube of multipurpose white silicone will go a long way to filling a multitude of different gaps around your home. It would certainly be suitable for sealing the gap between the tiles and skirting and the gap at your entryway. You dispense it with a caulking gun. Here's a helpful step-by-step guide: How to apply silicone sealant.

If there are larger gaps around you can use various sized foam sealant strips for those. Just squish and push them into the gaps.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects