Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to kill woodworm in old furniture?

mandy18
Just Starting Out

How to kill woodworm in old furniture?

I have a very old piece of furniture that has woodworm - how do I kill it?

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to kill woodworm in old furniture?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @mandy18. It's wonderful to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about treating woodworm.

I am unaware of any products tested and registered for controlling woodworm and borer in timber indoors. However, Hovex 2L Termite Defender can be used as a remedial preventative treatment for wood borer in exterior timber. 

If you can add some images of the damage to your furniture, I trust our helpful members will have some solutions for you.

Please let me know if you have any questions or need further assistance.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Re: Woodword in old furniture

image.jpg

Hi Mitchell

How long after spraying this is it safe to touch? We have a hallway buffet suspected. 

is it safe to use indoors? Can it harm my Cavoodle (dog) at all? 

Should it be wiped down after sprayed if we will touch it often?

Re: Woodword in old furniture

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @anika1botha. It's great to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about treating insects in timber.

I need to apologise for the confusion and will amend my original response in this discussion. Although Permethrin is effective at controlling woodworm and borer in timber, Coopex Insecticide Sachets are not registered for this use. I am not aware of any products that have been tested and registered for controlling woodworm and borer in timber indoors.

Are you confident that there is an active infestation in the table currently, or could these be older holes no longer in use? How many holes are there? If there are a small number of holes, you can take some thin wire and loop one end into a hook. Insert the hooked end into the hole and push it as far in as possible. This method can be effective if there are live insects in the hole.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects