Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to paint a timber balcony?

Cwdl
Finding My Feet

How to paint a timber balcony?

Hi I have a wooden balcony I wish to paint it’s is about 25 years old it has been oiled in the past but not in the past 5 years 

which paint should I use and would it need undercoat 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: balcony paint

Hi @Cwdl,

I trust you have carefully considered the results of painting a deck, as this is a fairly permanent decision. Many D.I.Y'ers have spent countless hours trying to strip paint off decks to restore the natural timber. It's a painstaking process. However, if that is the look you are going for, I'm sure you'll see some fantastic results.

It would be best if you used paint designed for decks like Cabot's Timbercolour Deck And Exterior Paint. Since your timber will probably be considered weathered, you should give it a light sand to reveal fresh timber. You can then clean the timber with Cabot's Deck Clean before applying your paint. You should find these step-by-step guides useful: How to sand a deck and How to clean a deck. There is no need for an undercoat with this process.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Cwdl
Finding My Feet

Re: How to paint a timber balcony?

Thanks Mitchellmc

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects