Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to paint corners?

siva26
Cultivating a Following

How to paint corners?

Hi experts, 

I was wondering if there quicker and consistent way( in terms of tone) to paint the corners of my house. I tried with trim brushes but after using the main roller there is alot of difference. In US they have got this thing called corner plus(https://paintlifesupply.com/products/corner-roller). Any similar product in Bunnings. Pls advise. TIA 

IMG20220908194705.jpg

CSParnell
Amassing an Audience

Re: painting corners

Hey @siva26, you can try one of the following they work not to bad as they hold more paint then a brush and don't streak as much.

https://www.bunnings.com.au/monarch-corner-pad-applicator_p0328092?region_id=118085&gclid=Cj0KCQjwpe...

Remarka6le
Amassing an Audience

Re: painting corners

Hey @siva26 , I purchased a thing on Ebay years ago called an Edger Pro, gives perfect edges every time is great for feature walls. All you do is dip it in paint and roll it along the edge that you want, it gives just enough gap to keep things neat and rolls a perfect line. 

Hope this helps :smile: 

Remarka6le
MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to paint corners?

Hi @siva26,

It's great to see you received some suggestions from @CSParnell and @Remarka6le

Having a look at your question, it sounds like you're having an issue with applying multiple layers of paint in the corners as you're brushing them with a heavily loaded brush. You're applying the equivalent of three rolled coats in the corner and one on the wall section. This is where you're toned difference is coming from. The corners show the full pigment of the colour, and your wall should look the same. I suspect if you apply another coat to the wall, this difference will be less noticeable. Also, you're painting reasonably far out into the wall with your brush. You should only need to paint right in the corner as the roller will get within 5mm of it.

I'm a bit lazy, so I load my roller, turn it vertical, and wipe it down the corner whilst applying a small amount of pressure. This compresses the roller's fibres and applies paint right into the corner without needing a brush. I then roll either side of the corner as usual. If you cut in and then paint the wall after the corner paint has completely dried, then you can sometimes notice the difference. However, I don't think that is the case here.

Regardless of how you paint the corner, I believe the issue is an insufficient coat on the wall section. If the wall is painted with the required number of coats to cover fully, it will have the same tone as the sufficiently coated corners.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Love the advice @MitchellMc 

siva26
Cultivating a Following

Thank you all for your wonder advise @CSParnell , @Remarka6le @MitchellMc.

I ended up heading back to Bunnings and I got a small roller to cover the corners. It is very much similar to the corner + I mentioned and its a Monarch brand. Works like magic and I was able to finish up my whole pantry with the first coat within a couple of hours. Once again thanks for the advise.

CSParnell
Amassing an Audience

@siva26 well done.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects